1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Transcoding Tools Produce The Best Picture Quality.

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Sophocles, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Brian and sophocles, thanx for the input. I have all the aforementioned software so I'm gonna give it a shot. We'll see what happens. Tom, I also didn't see a lot of difference but I went back and zoomed %200 and then you can tell (although it is slight in my judgement). No one watches TV @ %200 plus these tests are rather outdated since most of the software has been updated since. [​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I am as are others looking forward to your results. The idea of this thread is to remove bias from determining which is the overall better transcoder. I believe that can include a oonbination of speed and picture quality with minor trade-offs. Good luck

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  3. wowdancer

wowdancer Member

Just been in the same position and I can tell you that after tests and tests and tests the best solution was from Pinnacle Instant Copy v8. I actually have Instant CD/DVD V8.20 and it's a WOW all over the place.

The disadvantages are it's slower then the others, but the quality is just without comparison.

If you can efford it, go for it.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

downloaded trial version 8, found it for 29.00, cheapest I've seen. I will be off for a while, back with results. [​IMG]
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It does a good job, if speeds not important and that may well be factor with recode as well. If you want quality, go slow.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  6. brian100

brian100 Guest

Sophocles

Pinnacle really comes into it's own when backing up the more "difficlut" movies. IE the ones that have a massive ripped file size or are over 2 hours long. I used to use DVD2ONE extensively but had real problems (with pixellation) on the "difficult" examples. With Pinnacle very few movies suffer from pixellation and other artefacts. I have a 44" TV and the improvement is "simple" to see.

I use version 7 NOT 8. I would not be tempted to use the "faster processing" setting on Pinnacle, it's simply defeating it's own strengths.

For anyone testing the software, it would be best to "throw" a fast action movie through it, to gauge performance. Then do the same movie through Shrink & Recode.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]On Initial Viewing My Backup Looked Terrible,
    But With One Eye Closed It Aint Half Bad!![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2004
  7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brian

I thought that was the point I made when I finished my first burn using it. We are in agreement because I liked the result that I got. I intend to use instant copy several times more before my trial period is up and I might even purchase it.

The best results that I've had in all the trials I've tried thus far, was Intervideos DVDcopy. But with all the reports of it producing Macro Pixels has put that one on the back burner for a while. bigorange is working with instant copy now and maybe brobear is as well. I'm looking forward to their results.

This is my thought for smaller files 5.5 gigs and down, use Nero's recode because compression isn't a factor and time is. For files that are between 5.5 to 7 gigs DVD2one because compression is a factor and its quality is effectively equal to instant copy's at that compression level and time is still a factor. For those files above 7 gigs let instant copy do the work because compression becomes the only factor and time irrlelvant.

When I compared instant copy to DVD2one on a 7.6 gig movie, there was little difference, but I thought instant copy won by a small margin. To me that trasnlates into an ever widening margin as the file grows larger.

Keep on Buning,

8. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I have Pinnacle 8 instant copy but I had poor results early on. I haven't used it in a long time.
    With the activity going on here I figure I'll dig it out of mothballs and play some more.

Most of my ripping is done on dual proc machines so I like to use Recode and Shrink for the smp compatabilty. Cuts the encode times substantially.

I don't know of any other programs that max out both the procs.

9. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

bigorange,
    Where did you find instant copy 8 for 29.00.
    Advise,
    Tom

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Using DVD2One caused poor results for me on only one occasion and I feel I was at fault. My experience with it has been a learning one. I found that the manner in which the files are ripped effects final quality. I do not use DVD2One as a standalone.

DVD2One, InterVideo, and Recode have given excellent results with large movies for me. They are all good enough to be keepers on my computer. The only macro-pixelation I encountered with InterVideo was with a situation I induced. InterVideo seems to be susceptible to faults from the files being processed. Until better comes along they get to stay. As better software keeps coming online, I don't want to get in the rut of having a favorite toy. Have to admit though, some programs do lend themselves to falling into favorite categories.

As I learned quite a bit with DVD Shrink, I won't put it down. For learning it is an intuitive tool that does a good job and the price is definitely right. When using Nero as the burner it is a good easy recording solution. The use of something like Decrypter as a burner only because its free limits the Shrink's ease and speed. After all the default setting for Shrink is to burn with Nero.

With Shrink you get good full backup and decent editing processes in Re-Author. I still wish they would incorporate in the algorithm the ability to retain functional menus in an edit (maybe someday). Where shrink does okay is with movies of around 5 to 6GB. When dealing with larger files the Shrink quality begins to fade and suffers from compression faults. I watch movies on a 60" set so flaws do tend to get magnified.

In the end the biggest difficulty is in choosing the right tool for a particular job.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Instant copy is $30 on pinnacles website.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Great Post brobear, You hit it right on the nail for a lot of people. We all need to keep our choices open, and think about the task at hand, and do what our experiences tell us to do. And Then Keep on Burning!!!

13. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

Pinnacle Instant Copy Vs. 8 can be purchased for 23.96 plus shipping which is 3.99 UPS to Georgia. This makes total of 27.95.

Best buy I could find......

bigorange, let us know what you come up with after your test.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Mistake on the post. Saw the item lower at PCsoft, but shipping and taxes made it higher.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

15. brobear

brobear Guest

One program I don't hear mentioned too often is DVDXCopy Platinum. If a person can get it to work on their system, it is a good recording program. It does have a lot of interference problems. Nero's InCD and Roxio are just 2 of many that can effect the program. It works very good for the mid-size movies, but suffers compression difficulties when one gets up to the big movies. I still find occasion to use it and get excellent results.

The newer RF version has better controls and includes a large user guide in PDF format. It lacks the ripper capacity of the earlier program. That issue is addressed in other threads.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG][/small]

16. brian100

brian100 Guest

Sophocles

I disagree with that statement. I am speaking purely through personal experience. If the file length is 5 gigs BUT the movie is, say, over 2 hours, even that apparent mild compression can cause awful results. The major factor I take into consideration when choosing my transcoding/encoding app is movie LENGTH.

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Brian, must disagree buddy, recode does an excellent job on files that size. Got to go with Sophocles on this one.

18. brian100

brian100 Guest

bigorange

As i said earlier Buddy, it's purely from personal experience. I stand by my statement.

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Gentlemen, we have a winner. After 8+ hours I think InstantCopy 8 is well worth 25 bucks(found it for 24.95). I used LOTR-Return of the King since I had already backed it up with recode ,so I had something to compare to and also, I wanted a long movie( this one tops out at 3 1/2 hours) that had action and would test it's meddle. If time isn't a factor(Brian, you weren't kidding about that, & rite on target about InstantCopy's quality!), then this program is another great way to go. Easy to use and compatible with a large number of softwares and it has a ton of options, all the while retaining a working menu. I did 3 burns, [bold]1[/bold]-on the fly with Anydvd(BTW brobear and Tom, dvd43 also worked flawlessly on one of my other burns)-2+ hours, [bold]2[/bold]- ripped with Decrypter to HD, then to burn- 3+ hours, [bold]3[/bold]- ripped with dvd43, then wrote to HD, then to ouput folder, then to burn ( didn't finish this one but estimate about 4+ hours). I then put my recode copy in one dvd player, and each of my Pinnacle copies in another one at a time, put it on a 56" Mitsibushi HDTV and split the screen in half with my PIP. I played, paused, and freeze framed throughout and I gotta say that Pinnacle was superior in all cases. As Sophocles stated in an earlier thread, speed or quality or a happy medium, it's up to you. I will by no means give up recode, still love it, great picture considering I did the same movie in about 1 1/4 hrs. But, damn, I was impressed. To 6402 sq., pull it out of the dustbin and burn baby burn. No problems whatsoever. I went to Mushkin for my guide and used doom 9(http://www.dvdrhelp.com/guides.php?tools=&madeby=&formatconversionselect=&howtoselect=3%3B25&orderby=Topic&listall=1&archive=%25&search=Search+or+List+Guides) for anybody interested. It also comes with a good help file and support. Finally, if I'm up @ the computer,-recode, if I'm goin' to bed,-Instant copy. lol In conclusion, for those of you that haven't tried it use the trial version, I think it gives you 15 days, and let me know what you think. Thanx for starting the thread Sophocles which in turn showed me this wonderful affordable program. Happy Blazing.... [​IMG]

20. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

To all.

I now own Pinnacle Instant Copy and it is just what it says. Instant in set up etc. Quality is extra fine but slower than recode.

I burned The Haunted Mansion which I burned before with recode 2. Recode 2 gave same quality as far as I can tell in less time.

Results: analize and recode 38 minutes
    burn to disc 24 minutes.
    The burn probably would be faster had I used a 6 x media instead of 2.4x. But I was out of 6x. Got some more coming from meritline tomorrow. (Ritak).

The option to turn off screen savers did not work for me. So go ahead and disable your screen savers as you do in anyother burning program before starting Instant Copy.

1. Insstalls a virtual drive (if you want it to during install).
    2. Finds all drives etc at start up
    3. Good looking graphics
    4. Very easy to set up and use.(just set source & pick burner and click start) What could be easier????
    5. Has advanced settings which I have not played with yet. I used the default settings.
    6. I like the progress clips and information in recode 2 better.

Overall a very good program for 1 click.........

Will stay on my computer and I will give it some playing time on the burning field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.