1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Transcoding Tools Produce The Best Picture Quality.

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Sophocles, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yea, but then I get home from work and all of you have added another 20 or more posts to read up on.

2. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Yeah, it has been busy today. And the "Are You" thread is also prospering. It now has half the number of posts this thread has. It might give all of us "Addict" status.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Dare I dream the impossible dream?

4. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

lol. I thought you would already be there by now. Hey, why not dust off a lot of old threads, and give 'em a kick in the butt for a few posts?

5. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Sophocles,
    The agressive setting doesn't seem to have any effect on Ned Kelly. The speed slow down was the only way to record it for me. Unfortunately My drives won't do 2x. They bump it down to 1x if you mod the speed.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Regarding Ned Kelly

I just ripped the offending VTS_01_3 with a setting of 6X the real speed was more like 4.4-4.8 until it reached 78% and then the speed dropped to 2X on its own, When it went past the 87% point and then it sped up again to around 4X but the rip was a succes and took less than three minutes which is a 3 minute improvement on my previous rip. Again I used the aggressive settings and again I can't say if it helped or not.

7. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Sophocles...you now have me wondering what would happen if you ripped without the agressive setting?

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Doc

I'll try it later and report back, I just figured since it didn't hurt it might help.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

OK, I removed the agressive settings and left the rip at 6X. It went a little over 5X this time but when it got to about 76% it once again slowed to 2X and and continued to rip and then near the end the rip sped up again. I'm beging to think that a part of the VOB can only be read at 2X. When I rip a full type 9 disc I hit speeds of close to 9X and that might be a problem for it to have to suddenly wind down to 2X. If that's the case then the movie would play smoothly past offending point without revealing any flaws at all.

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]If that's the case then the movie would play smoothly past offending point without revealing any flaws at all.[/bold]

Well, it definitely plays without any problems.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

it's a good trick but I think that most people should be able to rip the movie at 4X.

12. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Sophocles

When I use DVDdecrypter normal it slows down to .7 then starts to error then stops completely. Set manually it runs the same speed all the way no errors.

I figure the difference noticed between me, you and bigorange is the reading drives. Yours reads better overall, mine is just able to rip at 1x, and bigorange couldn't read the protected disc at all.
    Which drive were you using to rip?

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm using my Plextor PX-712A. I'd mentioned that once it failed with my dedicatied reader that I used my DVD burner because they are generally better readers.

14. michigan

michigan Guest

I tried Ned Kelly last night and couldn't get it to rip either.(with Decrypter, Shrink actually showed a CRC error at the same spot while try to do the original analisys) At the VTS_01_3 (mine was at 78%) it just stopped the drive(burner for more acurate rip) and the errors just kept on coming.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

michiga

Read a few post back, there're instructions on how to do it.

16. michigan

michigan Guest

Yea I tried that. Didn't work. I'll try it again this weekend and just keep hitting the "try again" button. :) Did BigO ever get his to backup?

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]and bigorange couldn't read the protected disc at all. [/bold]

6402...true, how true.lol However at the time you must remember I was the 1st one to try Ned Kelly and discover it's unusual limitations(ie, hard copy read error). I wish I had thought of a slower read(I do have the capability to read at 1x) and at the time beta anydvd wasn't out. :)

michigan, i took my copy back and exchanged it for another and guess what, it doesn't have the read error! This is the 1st time i bet anybody actually wishes they had the intentionally f**ked up disc over a good one!lol

Anyway, so now i can't test it to see if 6402...'s idea would work for me. Also I have DL'd beta anydvd and i would like to see how effective the new setting is.

However, I'm sure it's only a matter of time as I think we'll see more and more of this. As jdobbs said, it's been around in other media for quite some time. ;)

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Michigan

Try to rip with your DVD burner at 2X. You can set in DVD Decrypter under device.

19. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

bigorange,

I would expect to see more creative ways to stop people from making backup copies of there movies. While this forcast is almost certain, it will only be a short-term problem until it's bypassed..

20. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Gnomex,

Unfortunately for the man, that will always hold true in my humble opinion. lol

It's like radar detectors and radar guns, they come out with a better gun, we come out with a better detector, and on and on and on.

The wild thing is the same companies make both(thereby creating their own market), wonder if that's true in the world of DVD burning? maybe, somewhere behind the scene, in the murky depths? Who knows? ;>)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.