1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which TV brand is better?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by kayum, Jan 10, 2007.

1. kayum

kayum Member

i am going to buy a HD ready LCD tv but i don't know that makes are good. i am currently living in the UK. i am going to use the TV to play Xbox 360 and ps3 and also have a pc input. at the moment i am finding hard to choose between samsung,LG,Philips,Toshiba and sony?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  2. kayum

kayum Member

any help??

3. Corizzle

Corizzle Member

Sony and Sharp are the two names known for the best image quality for displays, you will be paying a premium for these 2 names over practically any other brand name though

Of the rest, I would pick Samsung or LG over Phillips and Toshiba. This is just my opinion though.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  4. kayum

kayum Member

sharp?? i didn't know they were good.

5. kayum

kayum Member

apparently this tv 'Toshiba REGZA 32WLT66' is one of the best around. is this true as i have seen the reviews and they are amazing and the price is still cheap, this tv is better then sony and samsung in the same category.

6. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

7. wdclean

wdclean Regular member

I'm not to sure if this helps but my choice would be Samsung, 90% of all LCD panals are made by Samsung inch. Sony,etc. The ? should be who's components do you prefer. Now I'm a sony man untill a few of their TV's went south on me and just over their warrenty. The thing I would look at is warrenty, which one fits your life and options. Please don't buy into their extended warrenty plans (the Store) as these sets should out last any warrenty and give you years of service.
    P.S. remember the sound system the HD source and the HDMI cables that you'll need as well.
    Cheers, WD
    Samsung 40 inch 5000 to 1 contrast LCD, The colour blows you away!!!

8. wdclean

wdclean Regular member

Oh by the way steer clear of the LG's the worst out there!

9. kayum

kayum Member

would the samsung tv be good for ps3 or the toshiba one? sony is a bit out of my price range and i heard the samsung tv's are good only for games and is rubbish for watching tv and dvd.
    thanx

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  10. wdclean

wdclean Regular member

Not at all true most all the LCD's have a refreash rate of 8ms. I love my samsung and it has all the toys, remember though most game systems run 780 not 1080 but because there all animated they will look incredable. If you do research the panel for the toshiba is likely a samsung. Samsang is a world leader in LCD panels and I find them to be a little better priced. But your on the right track looking at LCD's compared to plasma's. Two years ago there were only a few making LCD's and by next Christmas I predict 2 to 1 in favour of the LCD. Back to your ? both will play games and both will show video, the key is the cables get the hdmi for video and of course the game has its own connection. Go buy what ever one you like both will be fine as their both household names. I do know where your coming from it took me 8 months of research before I got mine.

Cheers WD.
    40" Samsung 5000 to 1 contrast LCD

11. kayum

kayum Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  12. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Go with the Sammy, you did mention that your going to use it play your Xbox 360 and PS3.. I think that Sammy is the official tv of the Xbox 360, it looks absolutely breathtaking with component cables.Everytime i go to Wal-Mart or Target that tv is on display with a 360 and beleive me it doesn't dissapoint..

13. wdclean

wdclean Regular member

Spend the extra money and go with HDMI cables as I said before component inputs switch the digital feed to analog then back to digital were as the HDMI input is a direct Digital feed, side by side a big difference. The component is a little brighter but very dirty beside the much cleaner HDMI feed.

Cheers, WD.

14. wdclean

wdclean Regular member

I like the samsungs but not this model only because of the shiney black outer shell this would become very noticable with any light reflecting off of it while your playing a game or wathing tv. Just something to think about.

Cheers , WD.

15. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

always get samsung, LG, or sharp. I would never waste my time shoping other t.vs than those brands.

16. kayum

kayum Member

is the samsung tv the best to play the ps3?

17. wdclean

wdclean Regular member

they all would be good as I said before most have a refreash rate of 8ms. This would be the factor to look at is the refreash rate of the screen.

18. kayum

kayum Member

they are both the same price.
    can you tell me which would you will pick? they both have freeview installed into it.

19. wdclean

wdclean Regular member

After looking at the details of each set its a no brainer. The Samsung would be the one, with a contrast of 5000 to 1 while the "other" only has 1200 to 1. This makes the blacks blacker the whites crisper and the colours deeper. I know I said about the shinny black plastic box but sitting side by side there would be no comparison. The Toshiba set may have the options but with out the contrast you wouldn't be happy. Sets like that they sell at wal-mart. Samsung all the way. Hope this helps

Cheers , WD.

20. kayum

kayum Member

]
    thanx man! now im off to ordering the samsung one!