1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which video card is better?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by popol24, Nov 9, 2007.

1. popol24

popol24 Member

I've just read something about texture sizes because I have no clue what it is LOL. So basically that means I have to make the window size while playing crysis smaller? I have a 22" widescreen LCD monitor, would I need major texturing?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's not really what I meant. With games you primarily have four main adjustments to change how good the game looks, and inversely how it performs.
    1. Resolution - this adjusts how many pixels the game is rendered in. Unless you have an odd monitor/driver setup, the game will always run full screen regardless of what resolution you run. The game will just look progressively worse as you drop the resolution. If you run a low resolution without Anti-aliasing, it'll look very blocky, like games of old. if you lower the resolution but do have Anti-aliasing enabled, it'll look better than without, but somewhat 'smudged'.
    2. Lighting Level - This adjusts the shadows and dynamic lighting effects on the game. Individual shadows on people or rocks, degrading lighting in corners or tunnel entrances, that sort of thing. I usually find this the least noticeable effect in the game, yet it has the most profound effect in performance. If you're looking for a better frame rate, start here.
    3. Detail level - This is primarily what I meant about textures. The texture size of the graphics (the quality of the images being rendered), the draw distance of the graphics (how far away you can see them before they either disappear or become simple blocks) and so on. This is kind of a "what do you notice more?" and is very variable depending on your interpretation of the game, and also which game you're playing.
    4. Image filtering - Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filtering. These two effects essentially smooth up any effects which make the game noticeably not real. AA cleans up blocky edges (aliases, also known as staircases) and AF cleans up fuzzy horizontal angles. Hard to describe, google the terms for more info.
    What I usually do is set Detail to High, Dynamic lighting to low or medium, Detail level to max, AA to 4x, AF to 8x and the highest resolution I can run with those settings. If it turns out I can go fine with maximum resolution, I may start turning the dynamic lighting effects up. Find the best compromise.

3. popol24

popol24 Member

Thanks for the explanation, I kinda get it now lol Anyways, I won't be getting the:

Inno3D GeForce 8800GTS Overclocked 320MB 320-bit DDR3, Dual DVI, HDTV, PCI Express X16 interface, Fan, 570MHz Core Clock, 1800MHz Memory Clock (IV-8800GTS-320T)

Because I've asked for an upgrade and therefore I'll be getting:

Inno3D 8800GTS Overclocked 640MB 320-bit DDR3, Dual DVI, HDTV, PCI Express X16 interface, Fan, 570MHz Core Clock, 1800MHz Memory Clock Nvidia Geforce Graphics Card
    http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=8812

So, would I need to worry about texture sizes for the upgraded one? Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

5. popol24

popol24 Member

I'm actually getting the upgrade at no additional costs. Also, that video card that you recommended, they don't have it in stock, therefore I must wait even longer, whereas the upgrade video card is in stock. I've been waiting for way too long for the pc setup I mentioned above, so I really can't be bothered anymore LOL. Although, would the upgraded video card play crysis much better? Thanks for your time sammorris, really appreciate it mate!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 8800GT is streets ahead of the 8800GTS. It's smaller and uses less power.