1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which would you buy?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by gear79, Aug 31, 2005.

1. gear79

gear79 Guest

i am looking to replace my current home theater receiver to one of these puppies....
    http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR602&class=Receiver&p=i
    (this was my first choice, till i saw this one)
    http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR702&class=Receiver&p=i
    (i like the THX certs, but is it worth it)
    or this one
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Harm...sem/rpsm/oid/109002/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    all of these are available at circuit city, ranging from 400 bucks to 600 bucks...
    all the options they offer is what i want, does anyone currently have any of these items that they can give input on or helping me out to choose?

2. Sledge13

Sledge13 Member

I'd buy the Yamaha Rx-v1500 or 2500 instead of the onkyo's. the specs and quality are better with the yammy. Prices are close, but the yammy is actually cheaper and has better, fuller sound. When I checked out the Onkyo's, they just felt cheaply made and they didn't have the weight where the amps are concerned. I ultimately got the 4600 over the same powered 2500 because I wanted the forward based digital hookups, as I'm upgrading to HDTV, HD DVD player and SACD. The Digital radio and Satelite functions well and Yanaha has a better setup computer than the Onkyo (IMHO)

3. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

I would buy the Sr602, if you really need more watts per channel, then get the 702, dont buy the 702, just because it's THX cert, that dosent really mean anything, manufactures, can have lucas arts but that certification on amp, speakers, recievers ect. The only dif between the two models that would approve of the certification, would be the better decoder, that allows 7.1 matrix, discrete channels. Ive seen 5.1 recievers that have recieved the THX cert. Its kinda missleading by THX.
    Even my sattelite speakers are THX approved lol.

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

i do like the idea of more power, the thx was not my selling point on it though. none of my speakers are thx certified, much less my wiring, you need total thx just to get full benefit. but if you have more ideas, let me know, i have not bought it yet, but ready to, just weighing all my options.

5. Grain

Grain Guest

A THX cert and $1 will get you a shitty cup of coffee. The fact that any company who is willing to pay Lucas a percentage to have that symbol on their product is devaluing it altogether. What's up with 2! centre channels that are only matrixed sound w/ THX instead of discrete anyway? DTS kicks THX/Dolby's respective butts everytime.

6. gear79

gear79 Guest

@ grain, what do you think of the yammy rx v1500... its a close out on this one for 600 bucks, only 9 left at the most expensive place in town !

7. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@gear79, hey friend. I do not have the new yamaha, but I have had for 8 years the RXV 995,...awe-some receiver (only 5.1), but now with 7.1 you can really add some wonderful sound to a big room. I still like some of the choices you picked, but I agree that Yamaha have great gear...power, flexibility, and user-friendliness...and now with the included mic and automatic speaker set up it really is the way to go.
    MovieDud

8. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@grain, I agree with you about the DTS, I do not mind the Dolby Digital, but I always pick DTS and even when I do my backups...I know that the DD signal takes up less space, but I also feel at time s that DD sounds hollow rather than the full sound that DTS provides. I know that many might disagree, but just in my situation I prefer DTS.
    MovieDud

9. Grain

Grain Guest

@gear79, the 1500 is a very good unit, and sounds like a steal at 600.

@MovieDud, DTS uses far less compression than DD, and we both know what compression does... We're on the same page.

10. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, i am on my way to go check it out, i will be back to let you know if i bought it !

11. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, i went there, and they have changed their hours, closed at 7 pm, they used to be open till 9pm, but i guess i will go later today if i get off work. the best thing about this is, i am not spending any of my money to buy this. i have been collecting tips and side cash to pay for this item. my wife just dont understand why i want to purchase something so expensive. she has no clue.... but oh well. i think i am going to buy the yammy 1500 over the onkyo 702.

12. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@gear79, my wife couldn't understand my love and enjoyment with Home Theater as welll, but now after the theater is compleet and I have numerous gatherings where people always say that if they had this they would never go to the theater...I agree. She likes it now, not nearly as much as I do but when the family watches a movie...they not only see an outstanding picture but they feel the movie as well. I just love it. Have a great day my friend with your new toy.
    MovieDud

13. gear79

gear79 Guest

yeah, my wife don't like the idea of me spending all thius money, but she sure does use it alot. when i come home from work, shrek 2 or saving nemo is on for my 2 year old with the home theater on, not like he needs it, but she turns it on so he can hear it she says. she complained about the tv purchase too, but she uses it more then me. i have not bought that yammy yet, but i will, possibly tonight. i am going to demo my old one to a co worker, in hopes of selling it and off setting my purchase. but i will let you know if i get it or not this weekend. maybe they will do a hurricane blow out sale, as i am kinda close to it. its pretty windy here now.

14. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@gear79, Good luck on your purchase, and I've been praying for everyone in the south. Have a good day.
    MovieDud

15. gear79

gear79 Guest

ok, i bought the Yammy RX-V1500 today, got it for 599.00. now i am just trying to figure out all its functions, i can tell you so far i hear more sounds then my old one did, and i have not even configured it yet. good thing i have off tomorrow from work, i can spend all day with it.

16. Grain

Grain Guest

Have fun with it! It took me 18 months to finally get every option on my Yammy configured to it's best, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

17. MovieDud

MovieDud Guest

@gear79. congrats on your new toy. I love new toys especially when dealing with Home Theater. Have a great day off my friend.
    MovieDud

18. gear79

gear79 Guest

thanks guys.......... this unit is 200 times more complicated then my previous receiver. i have been reading the manual since i got home, and i am still boggled. i need to run out and buy me two more speakers now, but this unit will support 9 speakers total, plus 2nd and 3rd rooms. so i may end up getting more speakers for the garage and master bedroom.
    once again, thanks for the tips and input you guys gave me.

19. bigdave76

bigdave76 Member