1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which would you use? xp or media center?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by Attilla, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Attilla

Attilla Guest

IM not sure which to go with? I have a old 800mhz not sure if its even good enough to upgrade with a new tv card all i am really wanting to do is record tv shows. What do you think?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

I'd just use XP (as I already do). Media Center is too specialized. Especially if you're just gonna record tv shows. You'll still need a card with capture abilities.
    Good luck!

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

There are numerous posts of successful PVR's using P3 800's, with a Hauppauge PVR-150 and GBPVR on XP.
    Look in http://forums.gbpvr.com/

4. oddessy

oddessy Member

I've read in forums elsewhere----unless you have a $2000 computer, Media Center won't be of any help to you. JVC is right, it is too specialized.

5. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

how would you like a cheaper alternative to media center edition

go to the makers of windvd's web page

they have a piece of software called home theater i beleive and it works just as good as media center pc but you must have windows xp home edition or professional edition and must have 512 megs of ram but because your pc is a 800 mhz computer it will take pc100 which are really cheap now so try out home theater it is a really neat piece of software

have fun im running for my personal dvr

system specs:

amp sempron 1.5 ghz

512 megs of ram

200 gig hard drive

windows xp professional

home theater

and im not having any troubles what so ever