1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Xbox drive plays which media?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by mycat, Feb 1, 2004.

1. mycat

mycat Member

sorry for the stupid question. new at this.

just wondering which xbox drive plays which media. i have a samsung (lucky me) and my mate has a philips. i heard that the philips struggles with -R media, but excels at +R while the samsung is the opposite.
    is this true?
    and are there dvd's out there which can be played on both?

cheers

2. peachymo

peachymo Regular member

we have both drives in mine i have a samsung and my kids have a philips i've never tried +r in either simply because i have no problems using -r in any of them all of my -r media work in the philips and -r are cheaper and write faster -r also work in the thompson drives so -r is the best way

3. mycat

mycat Member

well, i'm trying to play some backup games.
    they are in dvd+r format. all of the +r work on his (philips) fine. some of the games work on the samsung, but some don't.

but on the flip side, anything dvd-r works on mine, but not on his.

i'm just wondering if its the media type i'm using...
    anyone know what media type (preferably dvd-r coz it quicker) that allows play on both philips and samsung?

much appreciated

4. peachymo

peachymo Regular member

all these media work in my samsung and philips drives and my bros thompson drive all are dvd-r datasafe media -r (ritek dye) mirror, bulkpaq, QP, sumvision, datawrite and basically any ritek dye dvd-r
    everything branded i've ever bought has worked i've never tried unbranded stuff

5. Diaboli

Diaboli Regular member

Maxell and Samsung DVD-R 2x plays fine with both drives - Samsung and Philips.

Samsung seems to be very picky with DVD+R's, a friend of mine burned a HP 4x DVD+R with his HP DVD+R drive and it worked just fine with my Xbox/Samsung, BUT when I burned similar disc with my Sony DRU500a, my Xbox didn't even recognize the disc. Go figure.
    However, I haven't had any problems with DVD-R's.

6. s8nsch1ld

s8nsch1ld Regular member

I have the "nasty" thompson dvd in my 1.0 xbox. It reads Immation CDRW's and Bulkpaq DVD -r's no problems. I haven't had a read problem yet.

7. Svanur

Svanur Member

My Thompson drive reads; DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW. I did not try DVD+R yet because I simply don't use that kind of discs :)

8. iggi

iggi Member

I have a samsung drive in 1 xbox and a philips in the other, the samsung reads and plays everything (including +r)that i've tried.The philips however is a fussy thing, i couldn't flash the bios or install slayers on any media i tried and ended up swapping drives. Now it plays some games and not others even though they are on the same type of disc.

9. Daskins

Daskins Regular member

samsung drives basically reads anything your throw at it. i never had a problem with my baby samsung lol.