1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which xbox model is best to mod

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by aussielad, Oct 30, 2010.

1. aussielad

aussielad Member

I've been thinking about getting a 2nd hand xbox for modding, even considering trying to pick up a RROD box cheap on ebay and see if i can fix it. Which model should i be looking for? Specifically, year of make?

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

2001/2 1.1 with a samsung 605b drive ..

3. aussielad

aussielad Member

The plan is to get a RROD machine that hasnt been opened. Fit an x-clamp kit, some internal fans, and maybe replacement cpu, gpu and memory heatsinks with some artic silver thermal grease. And then pray...

Does this sound like a sound strategy? Anything else i could do to maximise my chances?

4. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

wrong place then.. don't waste your money with a junker.. it WILL have been messed around with by other people before you get your hands on it.. probably will be missing vital parts as well.

replace the cpu and gpu?.. how??.. they are soldered in.. kit to "replace" them will cost more than 4 brand new ones..

pointless strategy.. buy a working one.

5. aussielad

aussielad Member

Sorry, wasnt talking about replacing cpu/gpu, just the heatsinks. I thought there may have been some 3rd party heatsinks that do a better job than microsofts original equip. I was probably mistaken and looking at replacement parts rather than upgrades on ebay

I have a working xbox. Its manufactured in feb 2010. I asked a shop that specializes in flashing the firmware etc and they said that because its a relatively new machine a firmware flash will only let it play burnt back up games. Whereas i really only want to be able to backup my originals to the hard drive. Hence my interest in looking for an earlier model.

I've found an older 2006 model. Seller says that it hasnt been opened, warranty sticker intact, no repair has ever been attempted. So i am hoping its pretty much intact and repairable

I'm certainly no expert in this. Thanks for your comments. I'm definitely aware i may be throwing cash down the toilet :p