1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

white screen of death

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by killer595, Nov 26, 2007.

1. killer595

killer595 Member

when i load up windows my pc screen goes white and than i cant do anything with it and this happens sometimes when i return from hibernation the only way to get this post out was to boot in safe mode and turn on networking any help would be great thanks in advance

2. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Disconnect all hardware from the PC, such as, Printer, USB devices, Internet cables, leaving only the mouse and keyboard connected. Then boot in safe mode> start> my computer> manage> device manager. Look for any driver conflicts, such as red Ex's. If you find any, right click on the device next to the red Ex and select uninstall. Reboot the machine in normally. Get back to me.
    Have you installed anything inside the computer, such as, PCI or AGP cards lately?
    Do you have system recovery CD's.
    Brand and model computer. WinXP?

3. jremele

jremele Regular member

Go into windows in safe mode.

GO to start/run/cmd

type in

chkdsk /r and click y for it to run when you restart your computer.
    also type in sfc /scanonce which will scan your windows for corrupt files it needs to run.
    run a disk cleanup, remove any files you dont need.
    Restart the pc.

If it still doesnt work, go to start/control panel/administrative tools/event viewer, look for the little red x's next to all the logs, and post some error here, this is an extremely easy problem to fix.
    and all of it can be done in safe mode.

4. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Nothing back from OP, may of moved on.