1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who decides all this?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by blueboy4, Jun 1, 2006.

1. blueboy4

blueboy4 Member

who gets to decide which format is going to reign? the consumers, studios or what? if you ask me, i think blu-ray is the clear winner. only problem is that the only affordable multi-purpose blu-ray player yet to come out is the PS3...and they are stalling! according to a CNN article http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/30/magazines/fortune/sonyPS3_greatteams_fortune/index.htm Microsoft hopes to sell 10 million Xboxs by the time the PS3 hits shelves. (contrast this with the 4 million PS3s that will be shipped out) this is going to give Microsoft a large head start.

anyway, if anyone can point out a place (online or otherwise) where dual format players are sold (if any), i'd appreciate the help.

Cheers.

2. mudearies

mudearies Guest

microsucks plans to sell 10 million xbox 360 in 360 days ????
    good luck with that ,i dont see them reaching 4 by that time with good luck.

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Why does eveyone think Blu-Ray is a clear winner? If it was why is anyone giving HD-DVD a chance? Because Capacity doesn't equal quality! Especially when both formats use the same compression schemes and have the same read rate.

Ced

4. oofRome

oofRome Regular member

blueboy4: the consumers will ultimately decide. I'm not so sure blu-ray is the "clear winner", though, although it certainly has the edge in capicity (if it even matters...)

as for a combo player, it is to my knowledge that no such product is yet available to buy.
    LG is supposedly making a combo drive, though.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6465507.html

Samsung has also been rumored to be making one, but i'm not sure of the status.

Hope I was some help. :)

5. mudearies

mudearies Guest

' ' Why does eveyone think Blu-ray is a clear winner? If it was why is anyone giving HD-DVD a chance? Because Capacity doesn't equal quality! Especially when both formats use the same compression schemes and have the same read rate. ' '

hd-dvd sucks compered to blu-ray.

1. almost twice the data per layer.
    2.harder to scratch.

blu-ray for the win.

6. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

mudearies:

Have you done a side by side comparison of the two formats on a 1080p display?

Like Ced implied in his post - a lot depends on the hardware, video compressions schemes etc. I remember my uncle who owned a video store raving about Betamax and how much better it was when it came to picture quality and other things. We know who won that war don't we.