1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who do you think will win the format war?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mark40, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Mark40

Mark40 Member

I'm trying to make a difficult decision about which DVD Recorder to buy. Most of them seem to be very similar, except that half only record to DVD-R and DVD-RW, and the other half only record to DVD+R and DVD+RW.

I have discovered that all Philips, Magnavox, and RCA DVD recorders and most (but not all) Sanyo DVD recorders record only to DVD+R and DVD+RW. On the other hand, Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer, and Emerson DVD Recorders only record to DVD-R and DVD-RW. And Panasonic DVD Recorders only record to DVD-R and DVD-RAM.

Well, I don't want to end up with a DVD recorder that only records to a format that becomes obsolete. Back in the early 1980's, I bought a Beta VCR because when I bought it, Beta and VHS were equally popular, so I thought it didn't matter whether I bought a Beta VCR or a VHS VCR. But just a few years after I bought it, it started to get harder and harder to find movies on Beta, and now Beta VCR's are already as obsolete as 8-track tape players! So I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I would like to hear everyone's opinions about whether you think the "minus" or "plus" format will become the dominant format in the future.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Neither. Both formats will be with us until something else comes along :)

3. colw

colw Active member

The majority of current burners are dual format - that is they can burn - or + depending on the media used.

As such there is no real problem re formats.

Single format burners appear to be more common in craptops rather than real computers.