1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who has norton antivirus?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by squizzle, Apr 4, 2005.

1. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I was looking through the options on Norton Systemworks 2004 and I found that auto-protect excludes items by default that could allow viruses into your computer by email. Check it out:

http://lists.virus.org/bugtraq-0203/msg00098.html

I was pretty surprised to see this.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  2. CJC

CJC Regular member

Note:
    Various Vulnerabilities in Norton Anti-Virus 2002

Norton 2002..... now thats 3 years ago....
    If you can find just one piece of ANY software that does not have a Vulnerability then...... you just wont.

Thats why they bring updates and so on out.

I have used Nortons for years and years and havnt not had 1 single problem with them.

But remember, everybody has their own opinions and well choose what ever software THEY want

CJC

3. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Norton rules. Best at what it does, IMHO.

4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

It's Norton 2002. This is 2005. Of course any antivirus without updates will be vunerable.

I also have Norton. It's the best :)

5. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Since the article is 3 years old I am sure Norton has fixed this bug by now, I have Norton and it has saved my computers a$$ a few times.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I used to like Norton until it messed up my computer and outlook. I uninstalled it and downloaded AVG free, and right away it found 5 viruses norton had missed...two of them were trojans!

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I use Norton Internet Security and I have not had any issues with it at all. I do regular sweeps of my computer for viruses and spyware so I know im safe.

8. mikeeagle

mikeeagle Member

I use Norton Antivirus since years and never had a problem with it. I really like it - except for the price...

Never had my computer infected with any virus thanks to Norton.

9. Macdawgg

Macdawgg Regular member

Norton isn't bad but it is one "resource" hog-If you want something that scans files quickly try using Nod32 or bitdefender, there much better than Norton or Mcafee

10. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I installed Norton on my PC, within 5 mins I had a virus. 5 mins later I replaced it with PC-cillin, since then, no worries.

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have a customer with norton2004? with 13 viruses that avg7 found. he was not impressed

12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Yeah guys I realize that was Norton 2002 and this is 2005, but in my Norton Systemworks 2004 I had the same exceptions listed by default. That leads me to believe 1 of 2 things. 1 is that Norton hasn't fixed their problem yet (or at least hadn't when I bought Systemworks 2004) and the other is that they just threw Antivirus 2002 in with Systemworks 2004. Their updates obviously didn't fix this issue, because I have all the latest updates and I had the exceptions listed (.nch and .dbx).

Norton is still good in my opinion. But they do miss viruses sometimes. I have scanned and found none, then scanned using some online scanner and found some.

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

14. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

I have Norton and i think its the worst shite in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. c4iscool

c4iscool Member

I think norton makes viruses every year so they can make alot of money. just joking. but really I use avg free.

16. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I use AVG 7 Free also. It finds stuff Norton ignors. It updates automatically almost daily. No need to keep paying Norton big money.

Jerry

17. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Norton - What a subject.

If you have Norton 2002 and pay for the updates, (it uses the same pattern files as Norton 2005) it does not find the viruses and trojans that Norton 2005 finds.

Resource Hungry - absolutely - it turns a P3 with 256 Ram in to a dog.

AVG - I have found Norton finds things AVG doesn't and vice versa.

I use symantec corporate edition, - norton by another name - it is light on the resources and does a good job.

MacAfee has as many problems as Norton - I generally avoid it like the plagues as I find it unstable.

Sophos is probably the best AV out there as the AV Engine seems to have the lowest overhead on the PC without reducing its ability to remove viruses.

Trend Micro - housecall - on-line scanning I find is very good http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ PC-Cillin is Trends product.

All in all I prefer a product that is free, and doesn't use all the PCs resources - therefore on balance I would use say AVG and run an on-line virus scan every so often.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  18. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

I was checking my startup progs and this was n there and I am not sure if it is ligit or not, so i looked it up and this is what i found anyone got any ideas as to what i should do?

Name Filename Status Description
    ccApp ccApp.exe
    Y
    Part of Norton AntiVirus 2003. Auto-protect and E-mail check will not function without this
    Norton Auto-Protect ccApp.exe
    X
    Added by the W32.Ahker.D WORM! **Note - for the valid Norton AV entry the filename is "navapexe". This is also not the valid Norton_AV_2003 file with the same filename
    Symantec Configuration Loader ccApp32.exe
    X
    Added by a variant of the GAOBOT WORM!
    CcEvtMgr ccEvtMgr.exe
    Y
    Part of Norton AntiVirus 2003. Event manager for scheduling weekly scans and or automatic virus updates. Used to start automatically via "ccApp" and was not required as a seperate entry but a recent update changed this
    ccApp gsw332.exe.vbs
    X
    Added by VBS/Speery-A, a WORM! It will be found in the Windows system folder.
    ccApps services.exe
    X
    Added by the NEVEG.B or NEVEG.C WORMS! Note - this is not the legitimate services.exe process, which should not appear in Msconfig/Startup!
    ccAppr svcrhost.exe
    X
    Premium rate adult content dialler
    ccApps winlogon.exe
    X
    Added by the NEVEG.A WORM! Note - this is not the legitimate winlogon.exe process, which should not appear in Msconfig/Startup!
    ccApp WMADZ.EXE
    X
    Added by the RBOT-LJ WORM!
    ccApp [path to .exe]
    X
    Added by the W32/Rbot-LJ WORM/IRC backdoor Trojan!
    ccApp [random filename]
    X
    Added by the OBSORB TROJAN! Note the random filename compared to the valid Norton AntiVirus

> Status Key
    Each entry in the database will have a Status assigned to it. The key to this status is the following:

* Y - This status flag means that this entry should be left alone and be allowed to run as if it is unchecked it may break the functionality or use of a particular program.
    * N - This status flag means it is unnecessary to run this program automatically when Windows starts as you can run it manually when necessary.
    * U - This status flag means it is up to you whether or not you feel this program needs to run automatically.
    * X - This status flags means the item should definitely not start up automatically. Items that have this flag are generally malware such as viruses, trojans, hijackers, spyware, etc.
    * ? - This status flag means the status of this entry is unknown at this time and more research is necessary.

19. wild77

wild77 Guest

Symantec has just released a patch for SystemWorks 2004 and Internet Security 2004,there seems to be a problem that could let an attacker take control of your PC.

Check out this link
    http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/security/Content/2005.02.08.html

I got rid of Norton a long time ago and now use Trend Micro's PC-cillin.

20. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

kyle_101, uninstall norton, do an online scan with www.antivirus.com than maybe reinstall norton or get avg7 free edition