1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who uses a benq 1620 dvd writer

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by after007, Mar 24, 2005.

1. after007

after007 Member

if u do can u tell me which brand of blank dvds u use..ive tried sony and so far it only works in my ps2.....

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've got 2 of those benq 1620's.99% success rate using quality media.

Main pc benq firmware:B7-C9
    Spare pc benq firmware:B7-L9

Which sony's have you tried,+/- 1x-4x/4x/1x-8x?

You can booktype the plus format blank media to dvd-rom for better compatability on this burner.I have yet to find a standalone player/pc drive/ or ps2 that won't play my + format discs after I book-typed them to dvd-rom.

Both benq's seem to prefer the plus format media like these:
    Verbatim 4x digital movie quality/4x data life/8x data life plus.8x data life plus are awesome.mcc-002/mcc-003/ricohjpn-01
    Maxell 4x and 8x.Very good-ricohjpn-01
    Sony 1x-8x both japanese and taiwanese. 4x coded as ricohjpn-01.Sweet-the japanese ones are ty yuden.

Here's some of the dash format media:

Maxell 4x/8x- mxl-rg02/ritek-g05/tygo4/mxl-rg03: All very good.
    sony -4x:piss poor/-1x-8x: sweet/1x-4x:mediocre
    verbatim 4x digital movie quality,code mcc-01-rg20: The worst of any,my benq's hate this code.
    Ty Youden 4x: ty-go1's. Seem ok/just started trying them.

Ricohjpn-01 are probably the most common +4x media I have used and are very good. Notice how many of these brand names use this ricohjpn manufacturer to make their media.

For overall compatability of all the many different drives my backups play on,no question the plus format for the benq 1620 burners.

Any + format by maxell/sony 1x-8x/verbatim +8x data life plus are by far the best I have used.

I do have some of those stand alones that won't recognize my benq's dash format backups.

3. after007

after007 Member

i dont kno wat u mean by firware and all that..i use sony dvd-r 1x-8x i use dvd shrink and dvd shrinker bmayos method(ScubaPete )and i ive tried it in 2 toshiba dvd players they dont work but do wotk in my ps2...what dvd player have tried them in? and whats tha best way of makin them work in most dvds

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

5 ps2's,sherwood,5 apex's,2 benq's,1 lite-on dvd rom,2 sanyo's,1 empa,1 khypermedia,cyberhome home burner,2 nec 1200a'a,2 nec 2510's,3 sony's,3 pioneers,and many more. Usually I loan some backups to my buddies,and most of them have between 1-3 stand alones each. All these are playing the Plus format.I have 8 of these drives,lol.

The sherwood/1 sony/ and 2 of my other friends players will not play my dash format backups. That's why I mainly concentrate on the plus format-better compatability.

Firmware?
    That's the internal programming on your dvd burner.This firmware tells your burner which media "mfg code" that it is allowed to burn,how fast to burn, and the increments of burns. Those +1x-8x sony's,will allow me to burn 16x if I want to. dash 1x-8x sony/maxell +8x/verbatim +8x data life plus will allow me to burn at 12x max. The opposite can occur too: 8x may only be burned at 4x max on some burners.

If you have nero,you can find your firmware: extras/test drive----->you'll see your drive on the top: Benq dvd dd dw1620 vb7c9. This is version B7C9.

When you turn on your pc, you can see your firmware version in the bios screen.

There are newer updates for this burner,but mine work so great-no need to take the risk.

[bold]and whats tha best way of makin them work in most dvds[/bold]
    Use the plus media,preferably good quality, and booktype them to dvd-rom.The dash media will not booktype to dvd-rom.