1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whole pack of bad CD-RW ??

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by alteng, Jan 1, 2005.

1. alteng

alteng Member

After burning CDs for years, I suddenly have a weird problem. I just bought a pack of 25 Hypermedia CD-RW "Ultra Speed" 8-24x 74min/650mb - supposedly "backwards compatible" media, according to the label.
    I'm running Nero 5.5 (last upgrade) on a teac WD-58E, 8x8x32, currently connected to my old Presario 1200XL laptop using a USB-IDE adapter that I just bought.
    Initially, I burned several Memorex 12X, 700 MB CD-RWs sucessfully with this setup - no problems - worked fine first time at 8X. Flawless!
    Then, I switched to the brand new pack of Hypermedia (see above) and I cannot get a single one to even BEGIN to burn, out of 8 tries, on 8 seperate (new) disks! I get the error message: "this recorder does not support this type of media. Please insert a correct medium to write to."
    BTW, Neros "Disk Info" shows them as "Blank CD Rewriteable Total capacity 0.00 Available capicity 703MB 'the medium is empty' "
    Slowing speed to 4X, 2X, or even 1X does not help. Erasing attempts give a similar error message.
    NONE of the Hypermedia media are seen as CD-RW media, but all my old Memorex CD-RWs work fine at 8X.
    It appears that the whole pack of 25 Hypermedia CDs is faulty!
    Has anyone else seen this (hard to belive as it seems)? I know this brand is not high quality .... but ALL bad ....???

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

If is where you I would do a search on "backwards compatible" cd-rw. Maybe your software needs to be updated or patched or something. Or your driver needs to be updated.

3. alteng

alteng Member

I guess anything is possible, but since the Nero 5.5 has the last available update, and the same software and same device is burning similar media from Memorex (and others) with no problems, it seems unlikely. I have also (since the post) tried other CD burning software with the same result. Also, same results using Win98SE or Mandrake 10.1, and my P4 box (same burner).
    My best guess is that either the formulation requires a higher power laser (as in newer machine - maybe they snuck in a new coating formulation), or all the CDs are defective - or marked improperly?
    Still, the new Memorex ("high speed") batch I just bought a week ago works fine, and they're certainly not "old". Surely, they use a fairly "up-to-date-formulation".
    Something smells rotten here....and it's not "in the state of Denmark". Maybe the state of "Hypermedia"? ;O)
    Thanks for taking the time to read my post and reply.
    Cheers,
    Alteng

4. burn14me

burn14me Member

I too am having the same problem with a batch of 100 Office Max Hypermedia discs. These are 1-4x CDRW's and I can't get them to work with Nero 5 and all the latest upgrades. TDK 4-12x work fine as do all other discs I feed my CenDyne (AOpen 4850) burner. My discs show with the Nero info tool to be made by CMC but will NOT work in this burner. I think the mfg. made a batch of junk and pawned them off on stores like Office Max where these came from.