1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHY are my MPEGS so BIG??

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by pabmove, Apr 9, 2004.

1. pabmove

pabmove Member

Hey guys, making a VCD/SVCD from AVI is OK if you follow some the guides, actually I've spent weeks to get to where I'm at today and I still not satisfied. Anyway here is my problem.

When I encode my AVI files to Mpegs and then burn them they are really big, I've resorted to burning a 700mb AVI file on 3 CD's which is a waste. Anyway, I don't know how to ask th question so I'm going to explain to you my procedure's and ask someone if I'm doing something wrong etc.. :)

1. Get my downloaded AVI file 710 mb (time 1:32:00). Using nandub split the file, two pieces about 45 minutes each. Each about 350mb each.

2. Test the split files using windows media player. They both work fine.

3. Now I want to strip audio from the AVI files into WAV files so I use VirtualDub, I have to make two WAV files because I have two AVI files.

4. Then I have to encode the files so I use TMPGenc. I want SVCD so I do all the settings.

5. Now here is where is going wrong. Each encoded file I get is huge about 850mb, so I can't just burn it on a 700mb CD which I have lots of!

The Mpeg files do play because I've tested them with WinDVD. I suspect it is a setting problem but I have no idea how to make my file smaller so I can burn a full AVI file onto 2 CD's. Is this a problem with the bitrate!? No idea, anyway if you have any sugestions then I want really be thankful.

2. ColdFires

ColdFires Member

ok, i might know what your talking about. i started doing this about 4-5 days ago and now im doin just fine :p.

on my first try, the last frame repeated so tripled length and size. did you decompress the audio when you took it into VirtualDub? and if thats not it then the bitrate might be to high, lowering it lowers quality though.

3. shiroh

shiroh Guest

mpeg2 is supossed to be larger than all the mpeg4 compressor.

what you can do now is use the mpeg tools in tpmgenc and cut the video or split it some more. there is a sync problem with the cut & merge tools. merge are not really good, sometimes it works sometimes not. cut works every time for me till now.

if you don't want to cut it, you need to reencode it back but using a slightly lower bitrate. do the math.

4. pabmove

pabmove Member

Thx for the reply guys. I going to experiment now with all your suggestions. I'll let you know the results. Thx again

5. pabmove

pabmove Member

woo woo woo, found a great tutorial on a different site which explain everything about converting avi's to mpegs. really detailed and so happy now everything is fine. thx all

6. gilgatex

gilgatex Member

Mind sharing that link with us?