1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are my xvid encodes so massive?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by jodezza, Sep 15, 2004.

1. jodezza

jodezza Member

Hi, I am new on here but have actually trolled around the forums for a while. You all look like a friendly helpful bunch ;-)

Okay here we go, I installed xvid on my pc and ripped a futurama episode to try my hand at making my own dvd up with menu and the rest of it. I (think), I set xvid to pass 1 QUALITY (mpeg3 41k stereo for the sound)and set it to 100 or at least thats what i thought. The first episode of futurama came out at around 400meg (720*576) and was pretty loss less on quality, I was pretty chuffed with this size and quality. I later did this with a sopranos episode which came out at 1.2gig, again i was happy with that, just about lossless and a size i was happy with.

However, I recently had to do a reinstall and am stumped as to the correct settings to be used for xvid to retain good quality but not go overboard on size.

I decided to give an episode of the sopranos a go.

I extracted the vob and reinserted the audio in virtualdub and started the encode with xvid pass1 quality 100, mp3 audio again.

Low and behold the quality is perfect but now the file size is 8gig!!!! Does anyone have any idea whats going on.

Or how I can encode a soprano's episode (around 50mins of video time) with xvid to be around 1.2gig again?

Thanks in advance.

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i think you have the older xvid version.

get 1.0.2
    http://www.koepi.org/
    or
    check the software section.

next,
    you're using 1 pass quality 100. the newer version don't have this anymore.
    but you can use the 1 pass quantizer. use quant 2. quant 1 will give a big filesize while the quality observed is the same as quant 2.
    its the same of what you're getting with quality 100, overkill :)

2 pass is a must if you want a predictable filesize or need really good filesize-quality ratio.

since futurerama is a bit flat on colours. it wouldn't hurt to try quant 3. and turn on cartoon mode. adaptive quant is fairly safe to use. basically i like to throw in the kitchen sink. except for qpel which is compressibility and cpu expensive task.

http://www.vslcatena.nl/~ronald/docs/xvidfaq.html

other than xvid knowledge its good to know more about video. for that
    http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/

post more about your progress.

3. jodezza

jodezza Member

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply, after posting that last thread I decided to have a muck around with the quality settings from the initial value of 85% onwards.

Original XVID Pass 1 quality %100 - sopranos episode - 7,944,880kb

XVID Pass 1 quality %85 - sopranos episode - 549,574kb

XVID Pass 1 quality %90 - sopranos episode - 828,926kb

XVID Pass 1 quality %95 - sopranos episode - 1,503,156kb

I will get that new version installed and have a look at it, with the same episode, thanks.

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i think you should get the latest one, before you start encoding. there's massive quality improvement.

5. jodezza

jodezza Member

Got the new one installed now, hmm using quantizer at 2 gives me an episode size of around about 2.3gig which looks great but is just about twice the size i need. I'll have to keep fiddling with it but for the moment using quality pass 1 at 95% is getting them around the size i need.