1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why are plasmas 720p?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ABMone, Jun 3, 2007.

1. ABMone

ABMone Guest

Do plasma TV's go up to 1080p? At all the stores I look at they are all 720p and only the lcd's are 1080p.

2. salinger

salinger Regular member

Yes they exist, but the are enourmous and probably cost a ton in proportion to thier size.
    Heres an example
    [​IMG]
    I am nearly sure that girl is not a midget...

3. Bigperm88

Bigperm88 Guest

There are many regualr sized (50 inch) plasmas on the market, but they are so over priced when compared to there LCD counterparts, that no retailers stock them.

So the short answer to your question.

Why are plasmas 720p?

Price

4. cashman91

cashman91 Regular member

their are many 1080p plasma's out now and their pricing is good

5. limelight

limelight Regular member

Theres absolutley nothing wrong with 720p.

I was at a friends house playing Gears of War and Rainbox Six with my jaw on the floor the whole time. The detail is astounding, dont let all the resolutions get in the way, especially now, since Television broadcasts are only up to 1080i max (at the moment).

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Its all about distance and screen size. You statement isn't entirely true. Most prime-time HDTV shows are shot at 1080p/24 and are broadcast at 1080i/30. A 1080p TV with good Video Processing will identify this content as 1080p/24 and scale and de-interlace accordingly.

Thats why it is important for TV that don't display 1080p to have 1080p processing capabilities (i.e. Pioneer Plasmas).

Ced