1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why cant i seem to get english audio when ripping from a dvd?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tbickle, Apr 27, 2004.

1. tbickle

tbickle Guest

hi,
    i have ripped several dvd's before using smart ripper and more recently dvd decrypter - the dvd's im trying to rip in particular are 'JFK' and 'bad boys' - the programs above rip the .vobs from the dvd fine but when i play the .vob back before i encode it its a perfect picture but the audio seems to be in french/german and i cant seem to rip of the english audio to go with the films. at the moment i rip each .vob seperatly instead of one large .vob.
    i wondered if anyone has experienced any problems like this before
    thanks
    travisbickle

2. Doohickey

Doohickey Member

Hi Travis, welcome to the forum,
    Sorry I can't help you much with SmartRipper, never used it myself...but I can still offer you some advice. Do yourself a favor and give DVDShrink a try. It's a free download and very easy to use. Shrink makes it easy to keep what you want and strip out what you don't want. Even on my first try it was simple...thanks to the great guides and help available here at A.D.
    Shrink will rip and encode, and then automatically launch your Decrypter or Nero to burn, whichever you prefer. Give it a go, I doubt you'll be sorry. ;)

On the other hand, if you're bound and determined to use SmartRipper...stand by and I'm sure someone more familiar with that software will help you sort out the problem your having.
    Good luck ;)

3. brian100

brian100 Guest

tbickle

Smartripper will rip the entire contents / or the main movie from your original DVD. It should rip all the languages & subtitle information if set to default.
    My guess is that you have selected "stream processing" & you have disabled, accidently, the english soundtrack. Try disabling stream processing, im sure it will work.

As Doohickey suggests DVDshrink is a really good alternative as it does the "whole bang" in one hit. But DVDshrink is not the be all and end all of quality DVD backup.

If this does not solve your problem, Im totally beat. Let us know how you get on.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Why are The Samaritans always engaged?[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2004
  4. tbickle

tbickle Guest

thanks for the responses - i had another go at this last night and it seemed to work - it was indeed the 'stream processing' menu in smart ripper that was causing the problems - it was taking everything from the disk including 4 different languages - 4 lots of subtitles - and a commentry and when it was ripped it was using the french langauge (bad boys dvd) as the main language even though english had been selected

i unchecked all the different items and kept in english 2ch and 6ch and now the rips are near perfect and even in english! ive noticed the file sizes are a lot smaller as well which is always a bonus - although i did notice that when the DVD was being ripped using smart ripper with the 'stream processing' checked going back to the main screen i saw it displayed a '104ms' audio delay but checking the .vobs back through they seem abdolutly perfect - so thanks to everyone for their help.

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Yes this appears to be another example of people not checking all the settings and options in their software before using it. This is particularly important when it comes to ripping and transcoding software - a little time spent at the beginning saves a-lot of time (and frustration) in the long run.