1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I use two hard drives together ?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by Lowride66, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Lowride66

Lowride66 Guest

I am modding me box to have two hard drives.

I have extended my cable to the outside of the box to a empty laptop case and a 120gb hd.
    I have a power switch between the 120gb and the 80gb in the box ...no problem here.
    I formatted the new hd, hooked the two on the cable and presto, I was switching between two drives and playing games from the hd's no problem.............

Until I went to load a game !

My DVD acted screwey looey, couldn't copy to either drive, and then I learned it wouldn't even boot a game from the disc.
    I unhooked one hd and all's fine but not with 2, hmmm.

What gives wid dat ?

2. andrewb15

andrewb15 Member

The xbox only Has one IDE channel so is only compatible with two IDE Devices, Like your PC you couldnt plug 3 HDs in on one UMDA IDE cable.

3. bbright27

bbright27 Member

Actually, you really can add another channel to the IDE cable. There is a great tutorial on XBOX scene that explains how to do this really well. It involves cutting one (or some) of the wires running through the IDE cable and installing a switch there. Here is the link. http://xbox-scene.com/articles/multicon-ide.php