1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't my Windows Media Player play Divx movies?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by indie665, Jul 13, 2002.

1. indie665

indie665 Guest

I just made Divx movies but my Windows media player can't play the picture. is there some sort of codec i need to get to play these.
    for those who can help (dRD i'm looking your way) i'm using version 8. the divx movies are compressed by Divx pro 5.02, and use 2000 kbit/s .

2. usjones

usjones Member

i have a similar problem. i'm just trying to play a Divx5 movie. i have the Divx5 pack installed and i'm using Windows XP. Media Player won't play the file. I also use MGI and it doesn't recognize the format either.
    please help!?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2002
  3. kmart

kmart Member

Yes, I have that problem too sometimes. It thinks the avi file is an audio file so it says 160kb/s or something and that it's 16 hours long. I don't know how to fix it either.

4. DoctorB

DoctorB Guest

You need the DivX 5.0.2 The codec comes with a player. Or May be the file is not a divx file or it could be a bad divx file that needs to be fixed.

http://www.divx.com/divx/

5. indie665

indie665 Guest

yes i know that but for simplicity i want to use wmp.

6. normski

normski Member

I have noticed this with just one film so far, WMP would play it as an audio track lasting twenty hours but DivX Player played the film no-problem.