1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you need to use DVDdecrypter b4 using DVD2One ?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by zooco, Apr 23, 2005.

1. zooco

zooco Regular member

In the DVD2One guide in this site, the author said you need to rip the DVD content first , using DVDdecrypter b4 use DVD2One . I've been copying DVD-9 to DVD-5 using just AnyDVD and DVD2One v1.5.2 without any problem. I wonder why the extra step . Please comment.

2. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

You can either use DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD to rip movies, they both do (more or less) the same job.

Some people use both as in having Any DVD on and ripping with decrypter, one should be fine.

If the method you are using is working, then why fix it?

3. zooco

zooco Regular member

As I understand it , AnyDVD does not rip DVD . It just cracks the protection code of the DVD movies. While DVDdecrypter can crack some types of DVD protection only , and it can sure rip DVD disks. The Guide gives the impression that you need to rip the DVD movies to the hard drive first before you can use DVD2One. My comment is you do not need to do it! Just use AnyDVD and DVD2One , you can copy most DVD movies .

4. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

I would be surprised if there was a protection it couldn't crack as it is updated regularly like AnyDVD.

5. zooco

zooco Regular member

Quote "You can either use DVD Decrypter or AnyDVD to rip movies"
    ---------------------------------------------------
    You will be totally surprised to see how many DVD movies DVDDecrypter
    failed to crack the protection ! AnyDVD is made for cracking protection codes while DVDdecrypter is mainly for ripping DVDs . Breaking protection code is not its strong point ! Did you actually use AnyDVD to rip DVD movies ? If you did, please explain this new creative use of AnyDVD . BTW, AnyDVD updates about every 2 weeks while DVDdecrypter updates about once in every 6 to 8 weeks.

6. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

But then you don't have to pay for DVDDecrypter, but i do get your point!

7. elizerroj

elizerroj Regular member

i know of anydvd, don't have though. i use decrypter and have never found a movie decrypter can ripp(unless disc is scratch). anydvd cracks the codes at the same time dvd2one ripps the files, this process some times, again sometimes produces errors. meanwhile if you ripp the files with decrypter first, the encoding process is more smooth. it just takes a little longer.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  8. arniebear

arniebear Active member

If breaking protection was not a DVD Decrypter's strong point it would not be able to rip, and the fact that it breaks encryption and rips is a plus. AnyDVD only breaks encryption, its strong point is that it works with other programs such as Shrink or Nero so then you do not need to use Decrypter. Yes AnyDVD is updated faster than Decrypter, but it is also not free, and there are many people who cannot afford to buy it

9. zooco

zooco Regular member

Thanks, elizerroj & arniebear, for your takes on the issue . I came across a few times where DVDdecrypter failed to crack the protection and had to resort to AnyDVD + DVD2One ( or "AnyDVD + DVD Shrink" )to do the job. Since then, I have mostly used DVDdecrypter as the final criteria for ripping a scratched disk : if AnyDVD + DVDdecrypter failed to rip a DVD disk, this disk is unrippable and it's time to get another original DVD disk for ripping. From my experience, DVDdecrypter is superior to DVD Shrink in reading scratched disk.

BTW, please comment on this : successfully reading a scratched DVD disk , is it a hardware or software issue ? I am pretty foggy on this one.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

zooco,

It is probably because you don't have DVDD set to its best operating settings.

Take a moment to fine-tune your DVD Decrypter's settings. First, it should be version 3.5.4.0. Go to "Tools", "Settings", set everything to "Default". Then in the "General" tab change, "Removal Method" from "Normal" to "Aggressive", in "File Mode", "tick" Remove IFO PUO's." For ripping in the "ISO, Read Mode", "tick" "Remove IFO PUO's" there also. in the "CSS" tab, under "CSS Cracking Method", choose "Brute Force ~> I/O Key Exchange" and "On Failure" choose "Yes". . IMPORTANT: In the "I / O" tab, in the bottom right, "tick" the box which says, "Ignore read errors". This is an excellent setting for dealing with lightly scratched discs, which may cause reading problems. We're now finished with our settings here so click "OK." There's no reason to change these settings. DVDD is good ripper right out of the box, all we did is to give it some "teeth." (Lol :)

To straighten out some of your misconceptions ~>

1. DVDD is FREE. Its strong point is that it breaks encryptions and renders a DVD Region Free "Rips" the DVD from its encryption. To do this in the "File" MODE requires that you create a folder on your HD named VIDEO-TS to put it's files in so that it may be picked up by another program. When ripping in the ISO MODE you still need HD space to put the ripped the ISO Image. Its second selling point is that it will burn DVD's as well.

2. AnyDVD costs $39.99 Its strong point is that it decrypts and renders a disc Region Free by the use of drivers so that other proggys "see" it as decrypted and Region Free. Because AnyDVD costs $$$$ it is updated much more frequently than DVDD and generally rips an encryption as soon as it comes out OR even before it comes out whereas with DVDD, it may take a week or more to be updated by Lighting_UK.

Since AnyDVD works in the background, so-to-speak, there aren't any "steps" involved. With DVDD, you need to open the program and provide some extra space for it to put the files.

Conclusion: To Rip (decrypt) a program for free, you need to do some work, with AnyDVD, you save time and HD space. It isn't necessary to use them both, either will do the job quite nicely by itself. The reason that DVD2One recommends DVDD is based solely upon its cost. By the same token, 1-Click DVD Copy recommends DVD43 (Free) is not because of its ability to do the job better than anything else, it is because of it's cost. Both programs well when used with AnyDVD.

NOTE: DVD43 is also a "driver based" decrypter rendering a DVD Region Free and works well on Win 2K and XP BUT doesn't work at all on other OS's. There are also some issues with other backup programs so, for that reason, it is not recommended as much even though it can handle Sony's new ARccOS encryption.

NOTE: DVD Shrink is not set to handle encryptions that have come about after June, 2004. Though the current version of DVD Shrink was being worked on until September of 2004, the work being done then was to fine tune the quality settings. I know this as I was on the DVD Shrink Beta-testing team. Look for Shrink to handle older DVD encryptions but none of the newer ones. Consider using DVDD, DVD43 OR AnyDVD before using DVD Shrink to avoid unnecessary errors during the ripping stage.

I would hope that would straighten out some of your misconceptions,

Cheers,

Pete

11. zooco

zooco Regular member

Many thanks , ScubaPete , for your expert input! It's just great to see you drop by . I still appreciate your conviction of quality of brand-name DVD discs on long-term picture stability ! Again, Thank you...

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

WHEN RIPPING A TROUBLESOME DVD or an episodel DVD, I use DVD Decrypter in the ISO Mode -

REASON: When you rip a DVD in the "File" Mode, you only copy the file structure. When ripping a DVD in the "ISO" Mode, you copy the entire disc just as it is. Every nuance, camera angle, etc.

When ripping in the "ISO" Mode, we want to create a folder to hold our ISO image files. You will have an .ISO file and a .Mds file. Not to worry, DVD Shrink makes picking up an ISO image as easy as pie. Open DVD Shrink and go to"File" - "Open Disc Image", "Browse" for the folder you created to hold your Image files and select the .Mds file. Yes I know, the size is very small and it seems that the entire DVD is held in the ISO file BUT everything will open fine. Let DVD Shrink pickup the file and then process as usual. If you want to use another proggy, you can use ISO Buster to change your ISO Image back to your VOB files, it only takes a second to convert them.

Here are some extra "Tricks" for your "Hard to rip" DVD's -

1. This is a bit "wacky" BUT it has worked for some pple. Rebooting your PC (cleaning out all the memory) allows some discs to be seen better - As I said, it can't hurt and it's worth a try -

2. Begin by playing your DVD with your PC's player. Play the main feature for two or three minutes then open DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter or your weapon of choice. - As soon as you begin your rip turn off your player so it doesn't interfere with your analyzing. The playing beforehand is only so that your ripping program can "Find" your DVD.

3. The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program.
    You would be surprised how many times your disc is now "seen" and works like a "Bad Dog". :)

NOW, if all of these fail I would put it down to a bad disc OR Mfgr error and return the disc for a replacement one. It may even be a regional problem affecting an entire batch. Though thought rare, it has been happening more and more since the beginning of '05 and should be considered. If this is so, buying a disc from another area OR, probably easier, wait some little time and exchange it again trying for a different batch.

Last ditch tricks to get to a scratched disc -

OPTION 1. The best results can be expected by using a professional appliance i.e. Skip Doctor at $49.99 for their most popular model - http://singclean.com/skipdr.htm

OPTION 2. Some success has been had using software programs like Rescue X DVD or ISO Buster ~> http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/

OR

OPTION 3. "Dr. ScubaPete's, too cheap to buy the professional stuff, Recipe Book for Scratch Repair."

To help with those small "Kiddie Scratches" on your DVD's -

THIS TO BE USED AS A FINAL RESORT to retrieve scratched DVD's.

Materials needed:
    A soft cotton cloth
    Toothpaste w/Borax (Arm & Hammer may be added)
    Isopropanol Alcohol
    Pledge
    Glass
    Ice
    Orange Juice and Vodka

Method: "If this doesn't work it's into the "Circular filing receptacle enclosure" (an Americanism meaning "The garbage can") with you -

START:
    1. Place the disc on a firm soft surface.
    2.Apply a small amount of toothpaste with a very small amount of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to a slightly damp, clean, soft cotton cloth and apply to your DVD. Rubbing very firmly in even strokes from the center outwards towards the edge. Repeat 10 to 15 times. Do this over the entire disc turning the disc slowly in a circular manner, always going from the inside toward the outer edge.

When Finished -

3. clean it either with a commercial unit (available at "Radio Shack" OR your local electronics store) OR clean the disc thoroughly with a clean cotton cloth moistened with Isopropanol Alcohol, Contact lens cleaner OR in a bind, you may use some Windex (Windex has some additives, coloring and the like). Clean by using a firm even rubbing motion from the center outwards towards the edge. Clean the disc thoroughly with a clean cotton cloth moistened with Isopropanol Alcohol, Contact lens cleaner OR in a bind use some Windex, using a firm even rubbing motion from the center outwards towards the edge.

4.[/b] Using a clean piece of cotton cloth, apply Pledge to the entire disc in the same manner as the toothpaste was applied above.

Attempt to play disc.

If the disc refuses to play, take 1 large 12oz. glass, add just 3 Ice cubes, too many ice cubes will "water down" the mixture rendering it unsuitable for usage, then add 70% Orange Juice and 30% Vodka. The contents are to be shaken, NOT STIRED. The glass's contents are to be liberally applied internally.

Steps 2 through 5 may be repeated as required to recover disc.

After 2 complete passes, an additional step 5. may be repeated PRN. (PRN is medical lingo for "As needed" OR "Whenever you wish.) :p)

~ Wishing you the best of luck ~

As I stated in the beginning, this is a last-ditched procedure. This failing, it's time to acquire another disc. At least we gave it everything we could.

Cheers !

Pete

13. zooco

zooco Regular member

OOps ...! On reading your comments and digesting its implications, I suddenly realized I might have to straighten out a few fundamental misconceptions you brought up in the discussion .

1) To "rip" does not mean "to decrypt " ! Ripping means transferring video files from the DVD disc to the PC ( i.e. onto the HD as .vob, .bup and .ifo files) .

2)To "Decrypt" means breaking the protection codes on a DVD disc so that the DVD reader can read the disc itself .

3) AnyDVD does not rip at all. It can be viewed as a driver, sitting in the system and help other ripping programs to by-pass the protection codes of encrypted DVD discs. It's fundamentally misleading to say AnyDVD is a DVD ripping program . Rather, it's only a DVD & CD protection code breaking program.

4) You have to use AnyDVD + DVD2One to rip a DVD movie ! Without AnyDVD , the program DVD2One can not even read the encrypted movie DVD at all ! Nowaday, no shareware dares to combine both decrypting and ripping functions in one version for fear of litigations ( i.e. "321 Studios" went bankrupted due to this legal issue ) . This is the reason why we have AnyDVD and dozens of DVD ripping programs, and DVDDecrypter remains a freeware .

5) DVDDecrypter cannot decrypt all DVD movies because I came across several cases where DVDDecrypter failed to read DVD movies while AnyDVD successfully breaks protection codes of all DVD movies I ever ripped !

6) I save at least 15 minutes using AnyDVD + DVD2One . Ofcourse, if you do not want to buy AnyDVD , you can use DVDDecrypter + DVDShrink . But keep in mind, there will be DVD movies where this method won't work if DVDDecrypter could not break the protection codes. So far, AnyDVD works for me in every case, but not DVDDecrypter.

Again, thanks ,Pete, for your devotion to scientific truth .

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

zooco,

Thank you for the clarification on the definition of the word "RIP". I stand corrected. it fact. In practice however, we tend to mix the two up when speaking of backing up a DVD. Pple refer to the breaking of an encryption as the ripping of a DVD no matter how it's accomplished OR by what proggy.

If you don't mind, I would like to return to the programs under discussion. You are correct that AnyDVD doesn't "rip" the files from the disc to the HD – it doesn't touch the files at all. Is it an excellent proggy ? You bet. I use it all the time myself. It isn't the operation of AnyDVD that I'm the tiniest bit excited about, it was. your statement that DVD Decrypter isn't capable of ripping all of today's DVD's. I find that unbelievable to say the very least, as a statement of fact, I believe it to be quite false.
    Would you like to consider some variables:
    Perhaps a "smudged" or dirty disc ?
    Perhaps your original DVD's were faulty ?
    Perhaps you hadn't bothered to "adjust" DVDD to operate at a better level ? The reason that DVDD has so many settings is that some are better than others.
    Perhaps your PC "hiccupped" ? (I'm giving you plenty of excuses here, Latitude galore.)

The fact remains that Lighting –UK has his "Baby" humming. and I have not heard of a single DVD that DVDD couldn't handle. Were there some in January when Sony's ArccOS came out ? That one involved either a child "jumping" OR a "running" child. The Bourne Supremacy, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Punisher, The Pianist, Taken, The Shape of Things, Scarface (Special edition) and one or two others are in this group. Adjustments were made, those files were located in "Unreferenced materials", in a single update, that encryption can be broken without a problem.
    The second player on the scene was the SETTEC ALPHA-DVD. Sort of a derivation of the ARccOS. That DVD's "seemed" to "rip" (Oooppps, I should have said "decrypt") but the trouble appeared when we tried to use programs like DVD Shrink or Nero's Recode2 to edit OR to encode. It was then when we received our error messages and the programs did not respond. When attempting to use any of the "one-click" programs, error message clogged our screens and the programs couldn't continue. With a DVDD update it can handle all of those encryptions, again, without a problem.

We are currently awaiting the arrival of MacroVision's "RipGuard." Until it shows itself, we'll not know which type decrypter will fare the best. Until that day, I see DVDD as an excellent program able to handle every disc around.

I suppose the only thing to do at this time is to actually name these DVDD handles those incredible DVD's DVDD couldn't rip ?

As you might tell by now, I believe in this proggy.

Cheers,

15. zooco

zooco Regular member

Thanks , scubaPete, for the excellent wealth of infos you bring us each time you comment on any aspect of DVD technologies.

__I love DVDDecrpter too, mind you ! But by nature, I am very impatient waiting for the PC to decrypt and rip a DVD movie . As a result , I always look for shortcuts to minimize the waiting time. When I use DVDDecrypter , it decrypts and rips a D9 movie in about 15 minutes in my system. Then I need another 15 minutes to let DVD Shrink ( or DVD2One) to shrink the ripped files to a D5 disc.

__If I use AnyDVD, then I can use DVD Shrink (or DVD2One) right away and thus save 15 minutes for each DVD movie ripped .

__If DVD Shrink or DVD2One fails to rip a DVD disc, I use DVDDecrypter as a finally check ( Of course, after cleaning the disc carefully ) . If DVDDecrypter fails to read the disc (i.e. freezes after running for sometime) , it's time to get another copy of the original disc and try to rip it again.

Again, thanks scubaPete for your generosity in sharing your knowledge with us.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I shall not debate the time factor with you as it's the major factor in my usage of AnyDVD also.

For those that don't wish to spend the $40.00, DVDD is, IMHO an excellent proggy. Even more so when taken into account it's ability to rip in an ISO Mode (fantastic when dealing with some rather "Dodgy" episodel DVD's) PLUS it is a fair burning proggy to boot.

DVDD is by no means in a class with the likes of CopyToDVD, IMO, one of the finest and fastest fryers in the 'old West.

For the Newbies who aren't sure how to proceed when beginning, the ability to rip, edit, encode and burn with DVDD and DVD Shrink and yet still produce a decent quality backup for FREE can never be under-estimated.

As previously mentioned, I await the advent of RipGuard - that will separate the "Men" form the "Boys" no matter what the cost. For discussion (or not), here are my burning recipes in the order of quality –

1. Cinema Craft Encoder w/CCE/Sp :)
    2. *AnyDVD + DVD2One + CopyToDVD
    3. *AnyDVD + InterVideo DVDCopy3
    4. *AnyDVD + Nero's Recode2
    5. *AnyDVD + CloneDVD2 by Elby
    4. *AnyDVD + Fab DVD
    5. DVD Decrypter + DVD Shrink + DVD Decrypter
    6. *AnyDVD + Copy2DVD
    7. *AnyDVD + dvd Santa
    8. *AnyDVD +DVD XCopy Platinum
    9. *AnyDVD + 1-Click DVD Copy
    10. *AnyDVD + ClonerII (otherwise know as a knockoff of DVD Shrink ver 3.17)
    11. *AnyDVD + CloneDVD (by the other guys)

*AnyDVD can be replaced, in order of effectiveness, by:
    DVD Decrypter (FREE)
    DvD43 (FREE)
    RegionFree ($$$$)
    SmartRipper (FREE)

Currently under testing:
    SuperDVDRipper

Cheers,

Pete

PS. I would still like to know what discs you had trouble ripping with DVDD. Curiosity don't ya know . . . peace

17. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure LightningUK would like to know as well if it can be reproduced.

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

vurbal,

That was my thought exactly. When Sony's ARccOS hit the scene we were trying to find a PSL file to rip Resident Evil II and He needed to get a log to create a file to use as they didn't have any DVD's with that encryption with which to work in the UK. With a DVD's name, I'd post him srraight away.

Whenever someone says that DVDD doesn't work on a DVD, the hair on the back of my neck raises - I do like that proggy, for the price, it has no equal (Lol).

When $$$$ is involved, I'l back AnyDVD to the hilt - For FREE, DVDD is the ticket.

Cheers my friend - Good to see you here on aD - missed you for a while there - Hope all is well . . .

19. zooco

zooco Regular member

As I used AnyDVD + DVD2One ( or AnyDVD + DVD Dhrink) exclusively in the past 6 months (i.e. after problems with DVDDecrypter on several DVD movies ) , the data you are looking for are not available for the moment :-( . But I'll report the next DVD movie that DVDDecrypter fails to decrypt.

-When we are dealing with scientific facts, there is nothing to debate about. My contention here is if you have AnyDVD then use it and save time. If time is a non-issue for you and you do not have access to AnyDVD , then use DVDDecrypter . You have no other better choice then.

20. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Since DVD Decrypter has been updated in the last six months and you have not tried it, your statement about it not working is based on past performance, and not up to date trial.