1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why does it take so long for rebuilder?...

Discussion in 'DVD / BD-Rebuilder forum' started by gitoy, Mar 10, 2010.

1. gitoy

gitoy Member

i got a laptop 3 weeks ago...i5, 4g, 320g 5400rpm...i figured this is fairly fast...so why did it take 178 min to encode a 7.19g movie?...

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

DVD RB is a resource hog. it does alot of numerical calculations. If u use ur task manager, under performance, u will c that the cpu is used at 100 %

Even with an i7 920, DVD RB takes a while

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I have a lowly Quad Core, Q6600 (not overclocked). I use HC Encoder (free) with Rebuilder, main movie mode only takes approx 45mins, full disc episodic mode only takes approx 1 hour..
    ..and yes all 4 cores are maxxed out with HC, which is great as it's utilising all available CPU power

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  4. gitoy

gitoy Member

thanks for the replies guys...

so i transcoded the main movie with shrink...took a little over 29 min...

are my eyes deceiving me?...i have a hard time seeing the improvement with rebuilder...do i just need to get used to the rebuilder image quality?...

5. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

DVD RB shines (in the quality dept) when u r at higher compression (say >75%). then u will see a great difffernce in quality over shrink

6. gitoy

gitoy Member

thanks iluvendo...

so how do i encode only the movie in rebuilder?...is there a reauthor option in rebuilder?...

7. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Only in the Pro version.

8. gitoy

gitoy Member

okay guys...i finally have seen the light...rebuilder is better than shrink, i can hardly tell the rb copy with the best settings from the original...haleluyah!!!...

so i have the one click with img automatic option...just set and forget...and i can still multitask...

i have been "rebuilding" my library...sure would like to know how to make the process go faster...

9. gitoy

gitoy Member

just checked my last backup...prepare/encode/rebuild completed in 496 min...this is in best setting...7.60gb...

is this normal?...any suggestions for faster backup?...thanks guys...

10. dailun

dailun Active member

" . . any suggestions for faster backup?"

You're not going to want to hear this, but I'll tell you anyway.

Use different software. I use AnyDVD/CloneDVD and I have never had a DVD take more than 30 minutes to rip/compress. I use an Athlon X2 5600+

Sometime it's worth paying money for the convenience.

11. creaky

I'm thinking there must be something strange going on for the OP's i5 CPU giving times inferior to my Q6600; i know it's a laptop but even so, the 178 and 496 minute runtimes are seriously off the scale. Come to think of it even my olde worlde Athlon 2800XP (2.08GHz Barton CPU) used to take 5 hours for main movie mode (the 2800 was my main Rebuilder machine prior to the Q6600). The OP would be better sticking to the superior DVD Rebuilder, we just need to figure out why it's taking so long..

edit- here's some interesting runtimes comparisons for DVD Shrink & DVD Rebuilder

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  12. gitoy

gitoy Member

okay...last one is 214 min...this was during the afternoon...task manager shows 40-50ish cpu usage...the 496 min was overnight...guys, you think my antivirus, avast, adaware, spybot, might be scanning at night?...will that slow down the process?...any other ideas?...

btw, how do i post my logfile?...

13. creaky

I can't remember the location of Rebuilder's logfile as i'm on a linux machine, not sure the logfile would help identify the problem to be honest, but it wouldn't hurt. Search the PC for rebuiilder.txt, i think that's what it's called, and you'll see each movie is mentioned in the logfile (so basically just post a section for one movie, say the 496minute one).
    I use AVG across all my Windows machines, and i never disable it even on slower machines, i don't find it interferes with anything.
    Spybot does take a sizeable CPU hit, but i only run that manually now and then (ie i don't have anything from Spybot running in memory), i no longer use adaware but when i did i only fired it up to do a manual scan also.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  14. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Try not to have any other programs running.

15. PCH_Dude

PCH_Dude Member

Unheard of. I am using a Toshiba Satellite Core 2 Duo T8100 @ 2.1GHZ and the average 7GB discs takes about 120-140 to rebuilt. You should be in the same neighborhood because an i5 is basically a Dual-Core with 'Hyper-Threading Technology' enabled.

16. creaky

Ah, i see, i don't know the specs of i5's, i just assumed it was comparable (or better than) my Q6600.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

make sure you're ODDs are in DMA mode and NOT PIO mode that will cause a slow down and do the movie only instead of full disc that will help your times

18. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

They do not rate with rebuilder, plus all Clone is movie only, cannot do a serial movies.

19. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Dvd Rb free is not designed to optimally utilize multiple cores, but the Pro version is, so bite the bullet and purchase the pro version

20. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

try transcoding the movie first using ffmpeg (the guts that RB uses).. anyhow.. what's the chances that some lappy (no doubt with wincrap7) is running mirrored raid on the same hdd making every write double time and going into sleepytime mode/powersave mode during any heavy process over 20 mins?

I have compared lappys over the years.. they NEVER perform up to specs in any measure against supposed identical hardware on a desktop. I don't rate the i5 anyway.. doesn't seem to have any balls... like comparing a celeron to a pentium of the same speed.. all hype, no guts. I regularly see the last p's outperform them for heavy high throughput tasks like transcoding in streamlined "one purpose" systems.

hunt down what is causing the slowdown.. don't waste money on software that probably isn't going to change the problem. I bet there is something running checking EVERY data write.. windows built in drm being a very likely suspect.