1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Does My Computer Shut Off?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by stastny3, Mar 30, 2007.

1. stastny3

stastny3 Member

my computer shuts off when i go to make a back up of a dvd when i use dvd shrink anyone know why this happens?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What are the specs of your computer? How old is the PC? At exactly what step in the process of using Shrink does your PC shut off? I am guessing it is most likely happening during the transcoding process.

3. stastny3

stastny3 Member

i have a 2.8 dual core P4 computer.. and it happens when it is tryin to write it to my computer from the dvd

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Have u cleaned out all the dust lately?

5. stastny3

stastny3 Member

it only shuts down when im tryin to backup my dvd

6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Shrink is a very intensive CPU program, that uses 100% of ur CPU power,
    thats why i asked, ur PC could be shuting down cuz of the CPU overheating or it could be a power supply problem

U can DL a program called SpeedFan and run while using Shrink to see if ur CPU is overheating.

edit- here is that program
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SpeedFan.shtml

i believe TEMP 2 is the temperature of ur CPU, however i am not sure since i have a older version of this program

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  7. stastny3

stastny3 Member

ok thank you it better not be power supply i just replaced it

8. stastny3

stastny3 Member

can u tell me wat is a "safe" place for the temp to be

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Normal temps should hover around 35 - 40 deg C
    During Encoding between 60 - 70 deg C
    Anything more than that probably isn't safe, but all processors now a days will shut down before overheating.

Could be you just need to pick up a good quality heat sink and fan to keep your CPU cool.

10. ratbastid

ratbastid Member

You're all missing it. DVDshrink has a check box for 'shutdown my computer after burning' or something like that. I don't have a DVD handy, I'm at work, so I can't tell you exactly. It's in the window you get right after you start to burn, I believe.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It isn't shutting off after making a DVD it is shutting off during the process of creating the DVD. So you are the one missing it! Try reading the whole thread all the way threw next time.

12. stastny3

stastny3 Member

im only 16 i dont think i can afford a good heat sink fan... i get like 73 degrees normally with only explorer and msn open

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you talking Celsius? That is way to hot and when encoding the movie with Shrink I am pretty sure it is getting up into the 90 degree Celsius range which will certainly shut down your PC. You need to invest the 20$ into a decent heat sink and fan or you will be investing a lot more than that sooner or later into a new CPU and motherboard. It will most likely be sooner than later though running at those temps.

14. stastny3

stastny3 Member

i just replaced my CPU and mobo like max a year ago :(

15. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Similar thing happened to me about a year ago and I was completely puzzled by it. Then I started tracking down the reason and found out that the problem was actually with my power supply. No, it wasn't broken or breaking down. The problem was that it didn't give out enough "oomph", i.e. its output Watts weren't enough. This didn't even cross my mind originally, as I had a month earlier or so swapped an old 350W PSU to 400W PSU.

Now, the thing is, each PSU has different Ws that they give out to different voltages -- and different voltages are required by different parts of your computer. In this specific case, PSU outputted too little power for the voltage used by DVD drives and HDD drives. Thus, the shut down only occured when I either a) read DVD discs on max speed or b) burned DVDR. Apparently DVD drives are one of the biggest drainers of power and when their power requirement peaked, it went past PSU's capacity and comp shut down.

Could be wrong, but thought I might share this experience, which eventually led me to replace the PSU again (and as it was ultraquiet, wanted to par its quietness and replaced case fans and CPU fan, etc and eventually cost me almost 500 euros, but damn, my computer is quiet now ;-).

16. stastny3

stastny3 Member

yea it cost me 500$ for my mobo processor and power supply when i replaced them.. but like i can burn xbox games and everythin off the net no problem its just this backup thing with dvd shrink.... anyone wanna send me a heat sink fan :p :)

17. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

have u opened ur PC and cleaned out all the dust, could help

18. stastny3

stastny3 Member

see the thing is...... i only have one side on my computer right now im 16 and i dont live with my parents i live with my brothers EX girlfriend... i hate that if ur a newbie u cant post 3 times in like 3 mins or w.e it is

19. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

what does this mean?

i had the same problem, to fix it all i did was clean out all the dust in my case in my heatsink and CPU fan.

20. stastny3

stastny3 Member

yea i cleaned all the dust out of my fans and stuff