1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why does the image freeze in every chapter?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by moviegoer, Aug 11, 2004.

1. moviegoer

moviegoer Member

hi, I have "The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers" in a DVD-R 4.7 GB disc. The problem is that the image freezes at the beginning of every chapter for one second. Could you explain me why that happens?
    Thanks

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Hello again - it is probably down to cheap media - the Princo type you were talking about.......

Goto http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com and download dvd identifier to find out what media you are using.

If it is Princo, then I will go out on a limb and say that is the problem..............

3. moviegoer

moviegoer Member

Thanks a lot .I appreciate.

4. moviegoer

moviegoer Member

One more thing, I friend of mine told that that 4.7 GB is enough space only for 60 minutes of high DVD quality. So I thought that the image was freezing because of all the information that such a long movie takes up(it's 3 hours long)in a 4.7 GB disc. So what I thought is not correct? is it just that the disc is not a good one. yes?. By the way , my DVD-r's image is too dark , why is that?
    Thank you very much

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The more you compress the more chance you have for playback issues :)

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there moviegoer, Welcome to our Club:)

First things first -

The difference of 4.7GB DVD and 4.36GB DVD -
    While the manufactures advertise the size of a DVD as a 4.7GB DVD disc it's not true. It's because they calculate what 1GB is differently. A DVD will hold 4700mb but that is not 4.7GB that is 4.38GB because 1GB is not 1000MB it is actually 1024MB. Manufacturers do this false advertising all the time so you think you are getting more than you are, They do it with Hard Drives also so if you buy a 200GB Hard Drive it isn't really 200GB it is actually more like 189GB. (I have 2 of them, trust me on that (Lol) At any rate, we prefer to calculate the available writing space on a DVD as 4.36GB to include the reverse math and also provide a tiny bit of room for overhead :)

Once again, a 4.7 DVD disc can only hold 4.38 GB of information. The "Slide-rule types" will tell you that you should write to the limit of 4.36GB to allow for overhead. The adjustments to the "Target size" should be between 4200MB and 4300MB. It's not much difference but it will provide you with a little extra wiggle room and insure that you don't write to the very edge of your disc. The edge of the disc is the place where flaking sometimes occurs so that your movie might "stick" or "freeze" there. :(

That happens many times but is easily corrected by the controls on your TV set :)

cheers,

Pete

PS As Nephilim mentioned, too much compression will give you some playback issues - A good excuse to get rid of extra audio i.e. Director's cuts, foreign languages perhaps extras and trailers. (You might even consider trimming the ending credits (I did that with Pearl Harbor).

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP [/small]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

4.7Gb is rated for 120mins of good quality video.

In order for you to fit a 3hr movie on, it requires to be compressed.

By compression (in simple terms) I mean that the actual bytes used per frame is reduced, so:

Less bytes per frame = reduction in quality = more data can be stored = possible playback issues.

Of course, by removing certain parts of the dvd (menus/subtitles/different audio languages etc), this would reduce the amount of compression needed for the main movie, thus retaining the better quality......

And as Nephilim stated

In order to obtain the best chance of heavily compressing and having solid playback, a good quality media (dvd) is required - Ritek and Verbatim are know good quality discs......

As for your
    - that film is a dark film anyway, but by dark do you mean black and white, or something different?

8. moviegoer

moviegoer Member

when I say the imsge is too dark I mean the whole image. the imahe is in color but it is way too dark I turned up the bright but it looks to white. Do you think it is becaise I connect my DVD player using the yellow cable for video, I think is called "Composite video" right?
    Thanks a lot