1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why is dvdfab ripping over the limit?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pattyf, May 23, 2007.

1. pattyf

pattyf Member

i'm using dvdfab to rip a movie and it works just fine until i try to use nero to burn it. what's ripping is about twice the size of a disc! i've tried to read the guide but it's not available yet! what am i doing wrong? i select the copy disc selection, load it to my hard drive....everything seems real simple.....but then when i try to burn it to a disc, it's twice the size of the disc! none of the files seem to be duplicated and i only tried to use dvdfab after shrinkdvd gave me an error message on this video.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi pattyf
    You'll need to use Nero Recode or DVD Shrink to compress the files to fit on a single layer dvd. Shrink should be okay now with the files ripped from DVDFab. Since it's no longer updated there's quite a few movies it can't handle by it's lonesome.
    An original DVD is usually around 7 gig - a single layer dvd only holds 4.38 gig.
    If you set DVDFab to do movie only sometimes no compression will be needed and you can just burn straight w/ Nero.
    Here's a guide to use Recode - link

3. pattyf

pattyf Member

thank you! it worked just great except the movie was apocalypto and the subtitles didn't rip. i think that was my fault, though. appreciate your help

4. ibmeubu

ibmeubu Member

Hi pattyf... DVDFab gives you the option of burning DVD9 (7 gig) or DVD5 (4.38 gig). What works for me is that I use Custom, keep the chapters and then choose 16:9 or 4:3 if it gives you the choice. You can also keep subtitles if you wish. Quality is usually around 100% to 90%. BTW I am using the Platinum version. I'm not sure if some of the other versions allow Customization. It's worth the money though with lifetime free upgrades.

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

You're welcome pattyf
    If you're ripping the full dvd DVDFab should rip the whole thing - subtitles and all.
    Movie only allows you to pick the audio and subtitles in the free version.
    Which version are you using - like DVDFab HD Decrypter (free one) or one of the paid versions?

In Recode or Shrink make sure the English subtitles are checked. For the audio on this one only leave 'unspecified 5.1' - uncheck the other 2.

Good point on DVDFab ibmeubu!