1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Is It So Difficult to Copy DVDs? (A Guide for Newbies)

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Lumbastio, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

Nero is fine. First, you have to make sure that your DVD is under 4.7GB's, otherwise Nero won't burn it and you will need an encoder like DVD Rebuilder (free or 10$) for best quality or a transcoder, like InterVideo Copy or DVD Clone.
    So if it is under4.7, in Nero choose the DVD-Video mode and drag all the files from the Video_TS folder into the Video_TS folder in Nero. The audio folder is usually empty. Now you can burn.

2. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

My Nero will do DVD 5 or 9 and I have an I/O double layer burner. So compression is only necessary if I buy the single layer--which I always do. I want to but the double layer DVD's eventually but they are still more expensive.

3. honkin

honkin Member

I tried changing the Book Type in DvD Decrypter, with no luck.
    I have been having a terrible time copying since I upgraded firmware in my Sony DW22a from BYS1 to the Liteon 1633S (which I understand it actually is). I only use Verbatim Datalife Plus, so media shouldn't be an issue.
    I copied Series 1 of Family Guy with no problems just using DvD Decrypter. There were a couple of points where it skipped, but was OK.
    Since the upgrade, it is just coasters. I even tried changing the Book Type option in DvD Decrypter as suggested. Family Guy Series 3 ripped with DvD Decrypter and burnt with both DvD Decrypter and DvDX Platinum were coasters. DvDX Platinum skipped and froze at points right from the start. DvD Decrypter at least played for an hour almost perfectly before locking at an episode change.
    I am using XP SP2 with 1Gb RAM.
    Any suggestions as to what to do? Do I just flash back to mty old BYS1 Sony firmware? Seems a bit defeatest.
    Any help gladly appreciated.
    Here are the results of the latest Disc Quality results in Nero CD-DvD Speed.

General Information
    Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S
    Firmware: BS0K
    Disc: DVD+R DL (MKM 001)
    Selected speed: Maximum
    PI errors
    Maximum: 83
    Average: 5.03
    Total: 90952
    PI failures
    Maximum: 2
    Average: 0.04
    Total: 1332
    PO failures: n/a
    Jitter: n/a
    Scanning Statistics
    Elapsed time: 23:51
    Number of samples: 209641
    Average scanning interval: 1.12 ECC
    Glitches removed: 5

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

5. honkin

honkin Member

OK, so I just upgraded to the BSOS firmware. It still does not show Verbatim Datalife Plus media when I look at the firmware file in Omnipatcher - not really sure how to add it.
    I tried Scuba Pete's guide this time to copy a DL DvD. No issues to rip it, I used DvD Decrypter using the ISO Read mode (recommended by Scuba Pete for DvDs with episodes). Then loaded the file into DvD Shrink, changed the settings he recommended and proceeded with the burn. The worst copy so far, with no offence meant to Scuba Pete. Is absolutely unplayable - just freezes.
    If I forgot to mention I am attempting to play these on a standalone DvD player, excuse me. Just have better things to do than watch a movie sitting at my PC. I need to be able to rip and burn so that a standalone player can watch it. I really just want straight DL copies.
    Any suggestion as to a better configuration of ripper, encoder and burner etc? This movie (Family Guy Series 3) has no RCE Protection - just uses CSS/CPPM, so DvD Decrypter should not have issues.
    Crazy thing is I did series one of Family Guy with the same burner. It was also DL, the only difference was I still had my original BYS1 firmware and it was playable, with only a couple of points where it skipped, but still quite watchable.
    Please, any help gladly accepted.

6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@honkin

What format is your Verbatim media (i.e. DVD+R or DVD-R)? How old is your stand alone dvd player? If it's nearly 2 years old and older, then you definitely need to book type the DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL into DVD-ROM format (DVD Decrypter has the capability to change the "book type" for your Lite-On burner). This will make is easier for your dvd player to read/play.

How fast did you burned? If all you want is a straight DL burn, then just have DVD Decrypter to do a 1:1 copy.

- Mode, ISO, Read R to your hard drive (and wait until it's completed)
    - Mode, ISO, Write W (when you're ready)

7. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Why are you changing any settings, it is as alkohol states a straight iso read and then write mode. You open the MDS file and then proceed to burn. The MDS file contains the info from the disk and the exact layer break. This is directly from LUK on burning a 1.1 copy. As for skips and stutters, that could be your standalone, I had a 8 month old Sanyo standalone that would not play dl media, I replaced it with a Sony. Yet my 4 year old Toshiba plays them fine. Check and make sure your player can read this media.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

As far as firmware that is what is current for the Lite-on, if it is not working then flash it back.

8. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

I did some tenative research which lead me to DVD Cloner II. Tried to burn with it and made 2 coaster. Bummed out! $59.00 poorer.

I located and joined this forum doing a google search on September 30, 2005. I spent about 4 days reading everything that I could find regarding burning backups of my DVD movies.

I then bought AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 and burned 4 movies without a hitch.
    My MB fried and I had to send the unit in for repair. In the meantime I read and read and read and asked questions of this forum. Learned a lot and downloaded dvdShrink and dvdDecrypter. I got my unit back last friday and have backedup 30 movies using dvdShrink and decrypter without a hitch. I have played them and they work fine. I have used Maxell's, Sony's, and Fuji's.

I am fairly computer savy, but I did not find dvd backups to be difficult.

With the proper software and burnspeed and common sense it does not compare to the difficulty of calculus.

9. arniebear

arniebear Active member

How astute of you, you have summed it up in one sentence, good job :)

10. Lumbastio

Lumbastio Member

9mmb, DVD burninng obviously does not compare to calculus. Nevertheless, this is also relative because it depends what level of calculus are you talking about. If you mean simple differentiation and integration, then I have to say it's easier to do that. But if you go into polar equations with multivariable triple integrals, then you are right. Just like in calculus, DVD burning also has levels. I'm relatively new to DVD burning also (beginning of September), but if you think that using Shrink is all there is to it, you are wrong. Shrink yields poor quality (pixelation) and if you want to reach the next level, you should at least attempt using more advanced programs like Rebuilder or at least Recode or Intervideo, that is only if you care about quality. I believe that DVD burning should be much easier, but it is not. Hence the creation of this thread. Good luck in your endeavors.

11. 9mmruger1

9mmruger1 Regular member

@lumbastio

I guess that my old eyes don't see it that way so I'll agree to disagree.

I hope that I did not offend you as that was not my intent. I learn a lot from this site and from contributors like yourself.

I am personally very pleased with the results of decrypter and shrink and cloneDVD. They work for me.

12. arniebear

arniebear Active member

The title of this thread is

The answer is that it is not, two free programs will do it for you and there are guides that give you instructions. They are free and easy for newbies to use and thus recommended first. In the area of quality you can only get an approximation of quality of the DVD you are backing up, i.e. you will never get the quality of the original. You cannot get total perfection, so you got to settle for the best you can get, and there are many programs that can give this to you if you have the money and are willing to pay. The quality is in the eye of the beholder. I have many old backups that were done on 321 Xcopy, not the best of programs but they look and play well on my sets. Most people do not sit around looking at every little pixel, they just want to watch their movie.

13. honkin

honkin Member

The Dvd media is DvD+R DL (Verbatim Datalife Plus).

The only reason I changed any setting at all was that after a firmware update, copies are now not playable on my machine - with BSYS1 they were.
    Once again, this is only on my standalone machine. They play fine on others. I want to be able to let a mate watch this as well, so was first testing on my machine for playable.
    I originally did a straight DvD Decrypter copy using BSYS1 firmware and it played pretty well on mine. Only started trying other methods when the results were poor using the lates 1633S firmware. When I say results were poor, I mean on my standalone. The copies may actually have been fine. How can you tell?
    Thanks for your help, guys, I may go back to BSYS1 and copy again.

14. darcangel

darcangel Member

Basically I was a newbie and still am (only made about 0-30 DVDs) and I found the bets way was this

1) DVDdecrypter (one button rips it to your hard drive and gets rid of the copyright) it’s a free program and it usually only takes around 15minutes to do so
    2) DVDshrink(also a free program. With movies only you get very little copmpression and will only take like 15 minutes to do so. If u have to compress it a lot I never had a quality problem at all with it as long as I do the deep analysis which will make it take around an hour or so total.
    3) Nero-yes u have to pay for it but mine came with my DVD burner so I dind’t have to buy it seperatly. I burn it 4 speed and it onll takes about 15minutes.

I think that is the best way so far.