1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is my burner taking the same amount of time to write at 2 different writing peeds?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KaRaCKTeR, Dec 5, 2004.

1. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

I'm using a Lite-on LDW-411S (4x burner) with firmware FS02. I won an auction from ebay for 100 ritek ridata disks and I started burning with them at 4x. I noticed that i got alot of errors/incompletes/coatsters and i decided to switch to 2x. I expected that the burning process would take longer by downgrading the speed, but it stayed the same (burns an entire disk in about 30 minutes). I noticed that when i burned at 4x, the light on my burner kept blinking from red to orange and while i burned at 2x it continually stayed on red. I dont know whats wrong. By switching to 2x i've had about a 90% success rate at burning (which i still consider kind of low), considerably higher than the 50% rate i was getting by burning at 4x.

I downloaded DVDIdentifier to make sure i got 4x disks and a real Pioneer LDW-411s and i got this:
    ----------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG04]
    ---------------------------------------
    Disc Type : [DVD-R]
    Manufacturer ID : [RITEKG04]
    Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Co.]
    Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2x , 4x] (8x Cannot Be Detected)
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]
    ---------------------------
    ** INFO : An Empty Writable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
    ** INFO : Drive = LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S [FW FS02]
    ** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+RW DVD-R DVD-RW
    ** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:RITEKG04]
    ** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below
    ----------------------------------------
    [DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]
    -----------------------------------------------------

I'm not really sure whats going on. Can someone help me out and tell me if theres something wrong with my burner, disks, and or firmware. Thanks For looking. I hope someone can help.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Slower burn speeds ALWAYS decrease the chance for errors. I NEVER burn at over 4x (sometimes 2.4x) for movies and only 1x for games.

My burn times for 4x are about 12-15 minutes so 30 minutes for 2x doesn't sound too far out of line. Your burner and media are fine.

Tho you gave media and burner specs you neglected to give PC specs which has a lot to do with burn times. What is your processor? Do you have your settings to DMA and not PIO? What app are you using for DVD backup?

3. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

thanks for responding.
    Using Nero Infotool i got the following information:

Drive Information
    ------------------
    Drive : LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-411S
    Type : DVD±R/RW Recorder
    Firmware Version : FS02
    Buffer Size : 2 MB
    Hardware Information
    --------------------
    CPU : Intel Pentium III Processor 500 MHz
    Bus Speed : 100 MHz
    Motherboard : GATEWAY Tabor3 WS440BX
    System : Gateway "
    BIOS : 4W4SB0X0.15A.0017.P12 12/21/1999
    Memory : 320 MB
    Sound : SB AudioPCI 128D Playback
    Video : NVIDIA Vanta (Gateway)
    --------------------
    Im not too sure about the settings to DMA or PIO. Im using Nero version 6.3.1.10.

I have a very outdate computer, but the fact it takes 30 minutes for 2x makes me think my problem is with my firmware. I still have the very first version, so i think if i upgrade it, my burns will get faster. What do you think i should do? Where can i get new firmware. I searched through www.liteonit.com but the firmware i wanted was not available. Do you think my computer isnt capable or burning at 4x even though i have a 4x burner. Hope you can help. Thanks for responding again.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

yep, your system is definitely one of the reasons for slower burns(P3), I'm not sure about flashing your burner, there should be a site somewhere for doing that. Have you googled for it using your burner's model no. or tried it at LiteOn's site? It should burn at 4x without doing that anyway tho.

Your ide settings need to be DMA, not PIO. To check these go to: control panel > performance and maintenance > administrative tools > computer management > device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers > click on + mark.

Right click on each driver and hit the advanced settings tab, under transfer mode pick DMA if available. Done.

Improper resourse settings can cause hardware to malfunction or even disable it.

Hope this helps :>)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

6. KaRaCKTeR

KaRaCKTeR Guest

i looked at the DMA setting and it was in fact unchecked. When i Went to check it a box popped up saying "changing this setting may have undesirable effects with your hardware." should i check it anyways? Are you saying that this will enable my burner to burn quicker?

I found the official firmwares i wanted to flash from the sites you provided for me.

Are you reccomending that i stay with my original firmware and not upgrade? Or are you saying to upgrade using official firmware.

I'm currently strapped for DVD-R disks and im in the process of ordering a new batch (maybe Ritek 4x G04's) so i cant really see if the changes i make, affects my speed at the present time. I guess im in the information gathering phase. Hope you can continue to help. Thanks

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

DMA transfers data between system memory and hardware devices without passing it through the CPU, when possible thus increasing PC speeds.

Your box option shuld read "DMA if availible". There won't be any problems, not sure what they mean by "undesirable" except maybe not to your liking, but certainly not anything detrimental to your PC. You can always change it back, but DMA will definitely speed up your work in DVD backup.

As far as flashing your burner, I'm not saying to or not to. I am saying it helps to flash one sometimes if it is an older model because there are updates. Updates aren't always better, SP2 is a prime example, heh heh. Read the sites and see what the updates are and whether it will help or not.

If you do flash it be very careful and follow directions to a "T". You can totally ruin your burner by incorrectly flashing it.

Hope this helps and if you still have problems just ask. BTW, if you fix your problem let us know also, some others may find a solution with the same problem too :>)