1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why is my dvd drive burning at 1.4x???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Robest, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Robest

Robest Member

My dvd decryptor is burning right now at 1.4x I just realized, i have a 16x dvd drive and using 8x dvd-rs whats going on?

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Check your DMA settings in device manager, it sounds like they maybe set on PIO Mode.

Right click My Computer
    Click on Properties
    Click on Hardware
    Click on Device Manager
    Click on the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller
    Double click on either Primary or secondary (dependant on which channel your burner is connected to)
    Click on the advanced settings.
    Then look in the transfer mode for your device, it should say DMA if available.
    Then in the current transfer setting it should say Ultra DMA Mode etc.

If it says, PIO Mode, then uninstall that IDE controller, reboot.
    Windows will then reinstall it and then go back to it and check that the PIO Mode has now changed back to Ultra DMA etc.

Hope this helps.........

3. Robest

Robest Member

wow thanks! my problem is completely solved. someone mentioned that DMA and PIO a few minutes ago but didnt mention to check what is currently in use I just checked the dropdown boxes before and they both said DMA thanks a lot!

4. Krushin

Krushin Regular member

5. Robest

Robest Member

yes but my drive was running on the secondary IDE so just make sure there all set to DMA

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

The 'dropdowns' should be set to DMA, but if the 'current transfer' window (below them) is displaying PIO Mode then the device is running in PIO Mode and not DMA....ie slow performance.

@ Krushin

According to your screenshot, you appear to be ok, transfer is set to DMA, and your current transfer mode is Ultra DMA and also you have the device set up as master (which is also recommended).

The main reason for the 'current transfer mode' to sbe set at PIO Mode is either:

You have manually set it to PIO Mode

The reader/writer has had trouble reading the disc, and has altered the mode to the lowest possible performance in order to read the data.

Possible conflicts with another device on the same IDE channel that is 'pulling' the channel bus down to PIO Mode.