1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is my encoding slowing down in kb/s???

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Jay_785, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Jay_785

Jay_785 Guest

I've noticed in the past two days my dvd shrink has been encoding dvd movies slower than usual. It's encoding less than 2,000 kb/s. My computer usually encodes about mid 3,000 kb/s. However, my computers performance ain't that great. But there is a slow down in my encoding now using dvd shrink? Does anyone know why? Is it because of my dvd-r Media. I've been using Memorex, and since Memorex is a bad media. Maybe that's why ?

My CPU Specs: (I know my computer isn't that great. I just don't got the money to upgrade it yet?!)

AMD ATHLON XP 2100+
    1.17 GHZ CPU
    384 SD RAM
    30 GIG HDD

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

your machine is more than sufficient enough. i saw the word Memorex and was gonna say go see the 2nd link in my sig but you said Memorex is bad already... your media is definitely a big part of the problem, however also check/fix your DMA - http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/FAQ.htm

3. creaky

ps post your last section of Nero log, MINUS serial number which begins with '1A21' or similar. logfile is in c:\program files\ahead\nero\nerohistory.log

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Are you talking encoding or burning. If you mean just the encoding part then try disabling the video preview in Shrink during the encoding process, having this on can slow the process down.

5. hammond5

hammond5 Guest

I had this problem and after a week of researching I found the answer. Go to your control panel-system-hardware-device manager-
    Click on IDE/ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS
    Now right click on both the primary, click properties and then advances settings tab at top. check Transfer Mode is DMA if Available and not PIO. Do the same for the secondary ide. If either say pio them you need to right click and hit uninstall. XP will reload the drivers after bootup (you may have to boot twice-just follow the prompts)

Windows resets these settings after 6 writing errors occur. Let me know if this helped

6. creaky

@hammond5 - cheers :)

7. Jay_785

Jay_785 Guest

None of them are on PIO. And it's still encoding slow less than 2,000 kb/s.