1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is Nero taking a long time to convert

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by status12, Jan 1, 2008.

1. status12

status12 Member

2nd topic in a few hours.
    we use nero to convert our downloads to ts files for dvd shrink but of late it has been taking a really long time to convert the files, is there a reason for this.
    thanks

2. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

3. status12

status12 Member

Checked the dma and both are on, we have only got one dvd drive but both the 0 device and 1 device were looking ok, the 1 device on the "current transfer mode" hadn't got the "ultra DMA mode" but the device 0 had got it.
    Would this make a difference??

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

That's fine - normal since you only have the one dvd drive device.

How long is really long?

Keeping up on the pc maintenance like disc defrag, disc cleanup, registry cleaner & virus scans?
    Which version of Nero are you using?

5. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Why use Nero at all?

DVDFlick can do all that for you by itself and its much simpler to use, and IMO it gives way better quality. I recommend you try it, its free too.

6. status12

status12 Member

It normally takes about 2 hours to do and we're using Nero 7.

7. status12

status12 Member

So does DVD Flick just convert or does it then burn as well, i have tried it but it looked to me as if it converts to avi file, if it burns as well happy days, but if not?????

8. varnull

varnull Guest

2 hours is pretty standard..

Why do you care if an authoring application burns? You have nero express right? Use the "burn dvd" wizard and add your video_ts folder the authoring application makes (it will add to the red one in the nero window) and burn... real simple.

9. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Does it look better that Convertx2DVD does? Not complaining as Convertx has good video quality & does it faster than Nero.

10. res2cue

res2cue Guest

in my experience it is very comparable to convertXtodvd. I personally think it is a very good free program and highly recommend it.

11. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

I have yet to try DVD Flick and Nero Vision. I'm highly dependent to ConvertXtoDVD when it comes to all my video to DVD needs.

12. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

First off it's normal for Nero to take around 1.5 to 2 hrs or more to convert AVI or DVD formats. Don't assume somethings wrong, especially if the video is very long.

Secondly, DVDFlick does it all in one, converts, authors and finalizes. All you have to do if you want to burn to a DVD/CD as well, is click on the "Project Settings" button, click the "Burning" tab and check the "Burn Project to Disc" button. I would also recommend that you make an ISO image first and burn that to the Disc, so check "Create ISO Image" and "Delete ISO after burning". It generally gives better compatibility and playback.

DVDFlick uses ImgBurn's technology to create an image and burn it, so it's very reliable and usually gives excellant results.

I've tried countless AVI to DVD programs, WinAVI, XtoDVD, Nero; DVDFlick gave the best quality and was completely error free.
    I'd say it's pretty much similar to Convert XtoDVD, except it's 100% freeware.

13. jaysel

jaysel Member

It used to take about 12-16 hours to transcode & burn an AVI to DVD on my old Pentium 4 with 2Gb ram.

Have now built a nice Quad Core with 4 Gb of ram and and the average burn takes about 25 minutes - now thats an increase in speed!!