1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is Price such an Issue?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by clowix, Feb 8, 2007.

1. clowix

clowix Guest

Just wanted to know some other views to the whole price issue on the new technology. ie: hd tvs, blu ray, hd dvd, ps3, 360, and so on.

my view is simple.

new technology has always been expensive. i paid 498.00 for my fist dvd player and had one movie with it. i saw one the other day with progressive scan for 19.99. i also bought a blu ray and a hd dvd as soon as they were available.(i perfer blu ray with vc-1 codec..other than that they are both close)

i have been reading and it seems that alot of people are upset by the price of the ps3 as well as blu ray costs. i dont understand this. i dont think there are to many people still using pentium 60s. upgrading has always been a part of technology. if you want it early it will cost you. i for one always want it first. i have gone through 6 tvs in 2yrs*(love you honey..i have a great wife)
    but i wanted to make sure i got what i wanted and needed. not proud of it, just very picky... and each tv was under warranty....and so on.

R&D even for big companies is very expensive, they have to recoop up front money then the price naturally comes down.

where is the issue.
    thanks for the feed back.

2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

clowix- 1st. Rule of Consumer electronics - early adopters : 1st Kid on the Block Types !Get Burned twice ! Higher Prices & Buggier Gear ! The Big electronics co's Make their Money back early In the initial Rollout phase ( Product just hit's the market!) It's also when they Discover or perhaps figure out how to fix Glitches that they new about alreadY ! The upshot being that if you can wait awhile you'll Get a Product that's Better , Faster , Cheaper & more reliable whether it's a Computer or a Flat screen TV ! Kinda Like Moore's Law on Crystal Meth ! But not everyone can be patient ! so Follow your heart on these issues I guess ? good Luck !!!!!

3. clowix

clowix Guest

clowix- 1st. Rule of Consumer electronics - early adopters : 1st Kid on the Block Types !Get Burned twice ! Higher Prices & Buggier Gear ! The Big electronics co's Make their Money back early In the initial Rollout phase ( Product just hit's the market!) It's also when they Discover or perhaps figure out how to fix Glitches that they new about alreadY ! The upshot being that if you can wait awhile you'll Get a Product that's Better , Faster , Cheaper & more reliable whether it's a Computer or a Flat screen TV ! Kinda Like Moore's Law on Crystal Meth ! But not everyone can be patient ! so Follow your heart on these issues I guess ? good Luck !!!!!

those are all very good points, but what what is perplexing me is people who think the price is so crazy..like it has ever been different. great point about glitches. i am always the new kid and that drives me nuts....but i also am an extended warranty kid!!

4. Dinobot

Dinobot Member

For the most part, people just like complaining about the ludicrousness of the prices... and I'd be inclined to let them vent. I don't do it personally, even though I have absolutely no intention of paying such high prices for the newer technology at this point, especially given the fact it will probably be buggier, and less compatible with future media. Early model DVD players back in the 90s were crap.

I'll give the industry one thing, though. The prices seem to be coming down much faster this time around than they did for DVDs. If I wanted to, I could buy a 2x Blu-Ray burner for around $670 CDN... which is a far better deal than the $1100+ standalone players; although I imagine even those will come down soon enough.

Personally, my main gripe with the whole HD thing is the god-awful quality of current flat-panel displays. On top of the overall (compared to CRT) poor contrast, color reproduction response times, etc. of flat-panel technology there's also the biggest caveat: a fixed native resolution. Building a television capable of only a single resolution has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever conceived. What also seems a pretty bad idea is giving such excessively large displays (34"+) such low resolutions... most "HD"TVs are capable of only 1366x768... not only a far cry from HD's true resolution, but it also results in rather large pixels the bigger the screen gets. Even the few HDTVs with actual HD capability (1920x1080p) have annoyingly large pixels, because that still isn't a very high resolution for screens exceeding 40". I wouldn't be able to stand it... even by itself. But then there's the annoying scaling flat-panels have to perform on every video signal that isn't fit exactly to its native resolution; a procedure that results in yet another degredation in image quality.

A CRT HDTV, on the other hand, has no ghosting or irritatingly-visible pixels, better contrast, superior colour reproduction and the ability to switch between numerous native resolutions to match the signal, making it an ideal solution for watching ANY content, even SDTV, without it looking like crap. I've seen SDTV signals on many HDTVs, and it always looks terrible.. even small amounts of scaling decrease image quality noticeably, but taking something from 480i up to 768 is such a bad idea it's laughable. Not so on a CRT set, which is capable of lowering its resolution to 480i or 480p when required. Depending on the model (though there aren't a whole lot anymore), it can go all the way up to 1080p, something only the most expensive flat-panels can manage. And they do it all for under $1000, generally.

I have an LCD display, but only as the secondary monitor on my computer. It's a Samsung 24" with a native resolution o 1920x1200... higher than any HDTV, and the resolution and pixel size is about right for a 24" panel. My primary display is a CRT (and will be for as long as LCD is inferior in all the above-mentioned respects) currenty set at 2048x1536... and it's worlds better than even the relatively high-quality Samsung LCD.

5. Jlhfit

Jlhfit Active member

People complain about price for numerous reasons.. Not every has money to blow... then some know that it is NOT expessive to make a HD or Blue Ray disc... I dont care what kinda data you find... THe fact is.. Disc of any kind are cheap to make....All you paying for is Copyrights and all the people from the janitor to the Fat CEO embezzeling money... The price has nothing to do with the Technology.. If it was based on tecnology then, th price would be cheap.. You think that when a new piece of equipment or hardware comes out,its new? lol... No.... Its new to the public.....