1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is WindDVD the Only Player that Works with DVDs?

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by larkahn, Nov 23, 2004.

1. larkahn

larkahn Member

For three years now, I've tried various players and none has come even close to functioning properly, other than WinDVD. Why is that? All the Windows Media Players, including 10 have really choppy video motion. Version 10 is slightly better but still not smooth. For some reason, I can only view a DVD movie in Media Player in full screen mode. Switching to a smaller screen causes the video portion to disappear. Nero's Showtime is about the same, maybe a little better. I'm not trying to take the lazy way out by posting this -- searching this forum or others doesn't seem to turn up any consistent answers. Does WinDVD in some way monopolize some of the Windows OS at the expense of other media players, or is it simply a superior product?

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Give Power DVD a try. Never had a problem with it and ease of use and features are superior in my opinion.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey larkahn, what version of windvd do you have? later

4. larkahn

larkahn Member

I have WinDVD version 6. By the way, I have just tried the demo version of PowerDVD 6 and have problems with that. The screen/PowerDVD window is dark/black when viewing a movie; however, if I try to drag the window or resize, I can see movie appears in a flickering fashion. If I go into my display card settings (Mobile Radeon 7500 with 32mb RAM on my Compaq notebook), and reduce the hardware acceleration), I can view the movie. What does this indicate, since it is NOT necessary to reduce the hardware acceleration when using WindDVD? WinDVD, as I said is the only video player that works. I have the latest video drivers, BIOS, and Direct X versions.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yo larkahn- sweeeeeeeeeet, I am going to have to upgrade from windvd4 to windvd6. How $ and where. Later