1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why read speeds vary

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mikegett, Mar 6, 2005.

1. mikegett

mikegett Member

I am curious as to why some dvd disks will read faster than others. I have the occassional disk that reads at 8x (using decrypter) while most are 3x. Is there a way to get around this? Thank you for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

My guess is it's the disc. Just like blank media has a write speed rating, all media has a read speed rating. I used to think that it had something to do with the amount of data on the disc, but I don't think that's really the case.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That is totally false. Where did you get that info?
    The read speed and the write speed have absolutly nothing to do with the other. How fast your DVD reads or rips depends on a number of things.
    Your DVD ROM or RW
    DATA on the disk itself (Clean and flawless will rip faster)
    IDE/USB/Fire Wire set up correctly (UDMA/USB2.0/Drivers installed correctly)
    Multi tasking?
    Why would one DVD rip at x8 and the other at x4? Well it could be neither is burning as you say.. What do I mean you ask? well have you watched the rip process all the way threw? It may start at x8, but it probably don't stay at x8 the whole way threw. Could be one disk is dirty, scratched, or has bad sectors in it. If you don't believe me about the read speed rating then do this little test. Burn a DVD at x1 speed and then rip it just to see what speed it rips at. I do believe you will be surprised. :)

4. mikegett

mikegett Member

My drive is a aopen 1640pro with 16x dvd read capabilities. The dma mode 2 is activated with the newest firmware and driver. I also own the sony dru-500 burner. Here is a interesting thing. I turned on the nero drive info. If I place a recorded dvd into the drive and refresh the read speed goes to 48x. If I place spirited away (original) in it goes to 2 on the sony and 12 on the aopen.

5. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

48x is cd read speed.
    Your sony burner is read locked from the factory to 2x (movie makers make the drive manufacturers do this). You can unlock with a hacked firmware at your own risk
    Your aopen, being a rom, is unlocked so will read the fastest

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

it depends on hardware / software and the dvd protection type...

if CSS/? it rips slower...

the new plextors and pioneer 109 are riplocked. there is a firmware hack for pioneer and a way around plextors rip at 2x

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Not if you have AnyDVD running :)

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

BB i will have to try that!!!!