1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Should I NOT use Paper Labels on DVD's

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jburden78, Nov 25, 2005.

1. jburden78

jburden78 Regular member

I appoligize if this has already been answered, but searched and I can not get a clear answer. [bold]Why Should I NOT use Paper Labels on DVD's?[/bold] I have noticed some of my DVD's are skipping near the mid portions(and other areas), and I was reading on this site about possible reasons. Most people seem to be "Burning Too Fast", "Using Bad/Cheap Media", etc. Another reason for skipping, apparently, is the Paper Stick-on Labels, but none of the threads I read explained why the labels are bad.

I start with DVD Shrink or Decryptor and then with Nero. I have a Benq DW 1620 burner as well as a Benq DVD ROM, and I only use Sony Disc's, which I burn at the Minimum speed, with 512 of RAM.

Every time I back up a disc, before I "Put a Label On It" I test it on a stand alone player, just to make sure. Once I see everything is ok, I stick a label on it :(

Now it seems that some(many) of my DVD's are skipping. Are there any alternatives for the stickers? What's everybody else doing? Writing on the disc's with marker? Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jburden

2. PCDAD

PCDAD Guest

I only use marker on my dvd's, I believe that your dvd stickers are throwing the dvd out of balance-hence the skipping. Now someone smarter than i here may have a better answer for you......

3. colw

colw Active member

Paper labels tend to cause problems for many people (not all).

They tend to unbalance the disk causing playback problems, especially if hand applied. They can also cause problems though bubbling due to heat. The problems tend to get worse over time.

Some members appear to have had success with particular brands of labels.

Try removing the labels with some of the DVDs that are skipping and see what difference it makes.

Marking pen/Sharpie is my preferred method - especially after seeing many others having all sorts of problems with labels applied.

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

You've just answered your own question. I don't recommend you or anybody to use labels on your/their backups, especially if you value your backups and its longevity.

The safest way to go is to get: (A) Inkjet Printable DVDs (Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Maxell "m.i.j") (B) get yourself an Epson R200, R300 or R320 (C) get a LightScribe dvd burner and get some high quality LightScribe media.

5. jburden78

jburden78 Regular member

Thank you all for your comments. I will keep that in mind. Maybe I will have to look into the LightScribe Tech.

Thanks,
    Jburden

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

A nice color option is an Epson R series printer and inkjet printable blank media. The R200 is under $100.

Jerry

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  7. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I've NEVER had any problems putting labels on discs in terms of playback. I use Neato brand.