1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why woudl a Backup play fine in Pc and DVDPlayer but cut out on a PS2???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by GoUSF, Jan 22, 2008.

1. GoUSF

GoUSF Member

This thread was started in the PS2 discussion area, but have not cometo a concluson on over 3 months.. figured id try it here..

So, I use ANYDVD and CLONE DVD to make backups of my DVD's.
    I use Verbatim DVD+r (just bought some FUJIflm DVD+r's today, im reading these are second class media, should I get Sony or another Verbatim, both are listed as class 1?)

They Play in PS2 SCHP 3900 (The fat version), as well as the latest PS2 (7900) In both PS2's the movie plays excellent however for some reason around the halfway point the DVD just stops (On both PS2's it was at teh same point on countless movies,not time wise but they would cut out at the same point on PS2A as PS2 B).. However the original will play in its entirety on the PS2's. But here is where it gets weird.. The original and the Copied DVD will play all the way through on a DVD player, and my Comp, any Idea what the problem is?

Here is some questions I have been asked on the other thread.. to speed it along.. its driving me nuts!

When you burned, or downloaded the movie was it in 2 parts, That might be the problem?

As far as I know there was a Audio_TS file and a Video TS File

I don't think it has anything to do with + or -, I suspect you are using bad quality media. What brand are the discs you're using? What speed are they? What speed do you burn them at? Are you making sure the image of the DVD you're ripping is a size that will fit on to a DVD5?

VERBATIM +R up to 16x 4.7GB I would set the settings in CLONEDVD for4.7gb.. but if that were a problem I would think it wouldn't work in the DVDplayer either.. I burn around 8X again this shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think as the movie plays fine but up t a certain point.. (In Clerks2 it cuts out right as they are all thrown in Jail, in BeerFest it cuts out right after the 2brothers taste the beer and realize that if its the best beer then their gamgam is really a whore.. (sorry if that is a spoiler)

Thanksin advance for any assistance, sorry for the lengthyness..

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

are you useing dual layer discs?

are you booktyping those +R discs to dvd-rom (better comaptiblility) can your drive booktype/bitset?

what is the dye coding on these discs - VERBATIM +R up to 16x 4.7GB

is it a rip from dvd and you keep everything, menus / extras?

also i wouldnt use the full space of the disc, i set mine to 4300

when burning are you doing anything else at the same time on pc?

do you have the latest firmware installed to the drive?

all seems ok just looks like a little niggle somewhere? changes a factor somewhere may help, although ps consoles are dam picky on dvdr media... i know RITEK GO5 dye coding plays in my ps2

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You are using a single layer disc.
    In DVD Shrink and in DVDFab HD Decrypter there is a setting to remove the layer break. I don't know if there is something in AnyDVD/Clone DVD combo, and I don't even know if it could impact the playback when using a single layer, but they all seem to hang in those player around where the layer break is suppose to be?...
    Maybe they have some weak lasers and can't pass that...
    Just throwing out ideeas...

4. GoUSF

GoUSF Member

Thanks for the responses guys..

discs are Single layer

I am not removing anything.. sometimes I will remove trailers of other movies, but aside form that nothing

Booktype? Dye Coding?
    No usually nothing else being done while the burn is taking place..

not sure about the firmware..

They DVD plays perfectly no skipping nothing in the PS2 it jsut gets to a certain point then the screen goes black and it is the same point in the movie in both ps2's, which is what confuses me.

I may try this dvdshrink and whatnot yo uspeak of.. is there a FAQ or something that can direct me to to figroue out how to use these .. also will these programs remove the encoding (wahtever ANYDVD does)

Thanks agian for the info

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Booktype? Dye Coding?

ps2 are very choosry on media used

1, booktyping is changing a +R format disc to dvd-rom, so whn burnt it isnt a +R anymore (more like original=better playback on players)

2, dye is what is inside all dvdrs the name of the disc means nothing! use imgburn / dvdinfo pro / dvd identifier to find your dye code, as there are fakes about and play awfull if you can burn them even...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  6. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Well I don't exactly know what formats and revisions the PS2 supports but it sounds like it maybe incompatible with the media you are using.

You see older DVD drives with outdated firmware may not recognize or may have trouble playing the latest revisions of DVDs, especially DVD+/-R's.

You obviously can't update the firmware on your PS2 without modding it, so if it is the firmware's fault there's no alot u can there.
    And it shouldn't really make a difference what programs you use to backup DVD Films, you just need to make sure you booktyping the DVD's to DVD-ROM to make them more compatible.

I think we can rule out the media as a problem as Verbatims are high quality, it's either your firmware or your burning settings.
    Just a thought, if you have any other blank media, try burning to them and see if they play alright..

7. GoUSF

GoUSF Member

Tried Memorex.. and the disc wasnt even recognized.. I got my verbatims from sam's club.. I got a 100 pack of Fuji dvd +R I havent opened yet I can take it back and get sony for 10 dollars more, should I I read they are better quality..

Still not understanding the whole booktyping thing, I dont all I know is that CLONE DVD makes a copy of the parts I want it to.. if I soemtimes cut teh trialers out then it wont add them.. but the rest is duplicates.. so it still leaves me curious where my problem lies.. thanks for working with me on this everyone!

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Booktyping it will indeed make your discs more compatible with the players, but I personally don't think this is your issue. The fact that they play half of the disc, it looks like the problem lies elsewhere.If it was the case of disc incomatibility, it would probably spit it out at the begining, not after they played half way through. it seems that there is something with the structure of the discs that your players don't handle well, like they can't read pass from the point where the layer break should be.
    That's my take on it anyway....

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Did you try the Dash format?

Try a different Burn engine.

Your dvd-rw drive may need a firmware update-helps control the writing strategy.

PC plays it fine-may be that PS2:

Laser lens may need cleaned.

Cutting out in the middle is a good sign that the drive is dying,time to get a $20 el-cheapo player.

Since the backups are recognized,booktyping isn't going to help your specific issue. It'll fix the no disc error when those backups are played on other drives.

10. GoUSF

GoUSF Member

HMM.. thanks for all the great feedback I am getting!! Ill address a few other things that have been brought up.. I have the latest generation of PS2's, which were updated about a year ago.. and I coudl contribute it to the laser however the movies still did this to me when the PS2 was fresh out of the box.. I actually bought the PS2, updated for the Network interface.. however, I decided to test the DVD problem out first.. and it cut right at the same spot.

11. GoUSF

GoUSF Member

cyprusrom today I was readign your feedback and it clicked to me what you were sayign abtou the Layer break, is there any way to find out or test if this is the culprit. I am going to give this DVDshrink a try. I am trying to find a Faq on here that lays it otu in a step by step fashion because as I see it now I do this

Insert movie to be backedup
    DVD Shrink (and remove layer Break)
    Rip with DVD Decrypter
    at this point do I need to rebuild it or soemthing? thats what I am readign on some of the posts
    Then I burn it back to my DVD by using DVDecrypter again..

Sorry if this is extremely easy stuff. but I want ot make sure I follwo the process to remove the layer break to conclude if that is the problem.. is there a way to tell on a movie around which point the layerbreak happens at?