1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen and fullscreen options.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by gerard514, Feb 22, 2005.

1. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

I have a standard 13" tv right now and i want to buy a lcd flat panel tv sometime within the year. My question is should i be burning my movies in widescreen format if i have the option for it, if i am going to be purchasing a widescreen tv within a year. Or would a full screen movie play the same way as a widescreen film on a widescreen tv.

Thanks for the help.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

either way is cool , as a widescreen TV will have loads of different screen settings [I leave my widescreen on 'Panasonic Auto' most of time as it decides itself as & when to change]

3. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

So if i watch a widescreen movie on a widescreen tv will i get the black strip like i get now on my standard tv?

And if i watch a movie in full screen on a widescreen tv there would most likey be no change right??? It will play widescreen and fill up the screen?

thanks for the help.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Your new Widescreen TV should have loads of different setting such as Widescreen-Auto/16:9/4:3/Zoom1/Zoom2 etc ... so no you will not have black bars :)

5. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Ok, thanks for the help everyone, so if im planning to get a widescreen then i should just use the widescreen movies (if avaiable) rather than full screen right?? SOrry for all the questions just getting into this new technology

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

On a widescreen TV you may still have black bars as generally movies are 2.35:1, etc. and not 16:9, you can however zoom or stretch, same goes for 4:3. If you don't zoom or stretch then you will have black bars on the side.

Also some (mostly older) movies are 4:3, but widescreen.