1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen output from VGA to a 1024x768 HDTV ?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by Dapsone, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Dapsone

Dapsone Member

Hello:

Background:
    I have a Vizio VP42 HDTV, which well, isn't exactly "HDTV" as the native resolution is 1024x768.

I have my PC plugged into the VGA to this television from an ATI Radeon X850 graphics card and I am using the latest version of ATI Catalyst Control Center and I am using Windows Vista Ultimate edition. Of note, Windows automatically detects the VP42 as the monitor (must be PnP?)

My problem is, that I am not getting any settings on my PC to output to any resolution that is not in a 4:3 proportion, which forces me to stretch the desktop to fit the screen on the HDTV. I think I want something like 1280x768 (or is it 1280x800 ?), but looking into every setting I can find in CCC or Vista, it's all various 4:3 resolutions.

Any ideas how I might be able to fix this?

Of note, I have an Xbox 360 plugged into the same HDTV via HDMI and it seems to automatically output to a widescreen format. Idunno, just tells me that this TV is at least able to take a widescreen proprortioned display.

Thanks!

2. Bladerz05

Bladerz05 Regular member

i was having a similiar problem with my 42" magnavox and a radeon X300se card. but through the catalyst control center i went to display options and selected force tv detection then went to display manager and had to force the display to the setting i wanted, which in my case was a 1920X1080 resolution. Hope this helps

edit: BTW i was doing this through the advanced options not the basic ones.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007