1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

widescreen tv questions about the aspect ratios oftv and movies

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by 68b_body, May 11, 2006.

1. 68b_body

68b_body Guest

my old bigscreen tv quit working so i bought a new high definition tv, only a 30 inch widescreen. a step down in size from my non widescreen 42 inch non hdtv, but this one is a hdtv. the aspect ratios, whats the difference in 2.35:1 and 16x9? this tv is 16x9 and movies that are 2.35:1 has black bars at top and bottom of screen like it would on a non widecreen tv. i was hoping not to have the black bars on the screen anymore. there is no setting on the tv or dvd player for the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

2. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

that is weird, i was thinking of getting a thirty inch widescreen to hold me over untill i can buy the sony sxrd i'm looking at. but if it is like that and you can't do anything about it that is messed up and i don't want a widescreen tv that does that. i wonder if there is anything to do to fix it. hopefully someone will post something to help ya out.

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

4. 68b_body

68b_body Guest

Thanks for the link, that pretty much answered any question i had about aspect ratios.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest