1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Widescreen Vs. Full Screen

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by Game420, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Game420

Game420 Member

Let me just start by saying i hate widescreen. It is one of the dumbest consumer rip off ever. O-k first off the black bars are annoying as hell. Sure you can see a little more of the picture but so what. Lets look at it from a consumers point of view and a technical point of view. From a technical point of view yeah its a great innovation. Sure you can see more of the picture the frame rate is better people are so stretched out and the picture isnt distorted. When you look at it like this sure of course widescreen makes sense. It clears up all these matters. From a consumers point of view this sucks. So your telling me i have to go out and buy an 80" tv just to see 50" of the picture on my tv. How does this make any sense what so ever?! What if i were poor and had a 15" tv and was watching a widescreen movie. I wouldn't even be able to see the picture. I dont get why they wouldnt just make a tv that adapts to widescreen. It is a consumer rip off because your cutting my "picture tube" (not dvd) in half with these black bars. I understand why the black bars are there because of the whole perception to visibility thing but wouldnt of made sense to make a tv that would be compatible with this widescreen format. The industry made a tv to fit the whole tv and now where going backwards and cutting the screen in half just so i can see a few inches more to the right and left. Think about it if it were that important that i see whats goin on to the left of the main screen shot they would be filming that. this is what makes me mad even more. The fact that the industry only releases some movies on widescreen and thats it. Some come widescreen and full screen and some come with both on the same dvd one on each side. Why wouldnt you just release all movies on both formats to meet all consumers needs. I understand that its an opinion and some people like one or the other and some just dont care. But for the ones like me that dont like being ripped off they should come in both formats.

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

I also prefer the fullscreen, but I have learned how to convert widescreen to fullscreen and it isn't a big problem for me.

3. Game420

Game420 Member

How do u convert then?

4. rmlnm

rmlnm Member

Have searched high and low for a guide to convert widescreen to fullscreen. Anybody out there willing to shed some light on this technique?

5. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I don't understand what you want to do because you're talking
    in generalities without any specifics. Most W/S movies can be
    watched just fine on a regular TV, with the proper aspect ratio,
    by letter boxing it. ie. black bars top and bottom.

When you say convert, what do you really mean? Any old thing can be
    reencoded to exactly fit the standard definition 4/3 screen,
    but the aspect ratio will be wrong. Things will be tall and skinny,
    because you squashed it in left-to-right to make it fit.

6. jony218

jony218 Guest

I've use 2 programs to perform the conversion.

1.)If it's a dvd, I rip with dvdfabdecrypter(free) and use dvdshrink(free) to convert those files to ISO.

2.)Next I convert that ISO to AVI (xvid) with fairuse wizard 2.8(free), In the wizard theres a screen that lets you completely crop the black bars (widescreen), and then make sure you check the "tv display mode" box when you choose the video output size. (this will only allow you to choose a final output size that will fill the entire screen.

3.)Next I use the Gomplayer to play these files on my 27 inch LCD, It fills the entire screen (no black bars).

4.)Now to convert these AVI back to DVD, I use Winavi 7.7 (this is the only version that can do it) and choose 4x3 setting. The finished DVD will fill the entire screen (no blackbars) on my 27 inch LCD, and also on a regular 25 inch tube TV. You might loose some quality, but usually it'll look better than if you had to watch those distracting blackbars in the way.

I have tried other software to see if they can do a better job then Winavi 7.7 but haven't found one. Even the latest version of Winavi 8.0 isn't capable of doing a proper 4x3 fullscreen DVD. I haven't found any substitued for winavi 7.7 (free or paid). Convertxdvd can also do the fullscreen 4x3 conversion but I didn't test it fully,but did find it was twice as slow and more confusing to use, but it might be the only game in town.

But definitely Fairuse wizard is the key in getting rid of the blackbars and making the AVI TV (fullscreen) compliant. If the AVI isn't TV compliant even Winavi 7.7 will not do a proper fullscreen conversion.

If you have an AVI that is not fullscreen compliant, you need to convert it to DVD, than run it through fairuse wizard to crop it, and make it fullscreen compliant. The loss of quality is acceptable for me.

http://www.fairusewizard.com/lang_en/fairuse_wizard_dvd_divx_xvid_backup_tool_light_edition.html

7. rmlnm

rmlnm Member

Exactly, That is what I want to avoid. What is so hard about understanding what I want to do? I don't like widescreen.
    I guess your bottomline answer is that you don't have a clue only a loose mouth!

8. rmlnm

rmlnm Member

To jony218

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post.

9. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

If you want the picture to fill the screen, why not just use the zoom feature on your players remote?

10. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

I agree Game420 with regards to Widescreen, though you see more of the picture, it's pushed to the public like some sort of cinematic viewing enhancement when you are really made to feel as if your viwing a movie between two wooden planks...i.e. "Peek-A-Boo"? or Voyeur experience. When you go to the theaters to watch a movie it's panoramic Fullscreen....Widescreen is the physical rectangular shape given to a panaoramic view. There are no black bars that define widescreen. I find it takes away from movies that are shot with a great deal dark scenes the black bars can take away from a scenes detail. These bars also make for a smaller viewing screen that adds distance while Fullscreen is a closer more detailed viewing experience. My recent example of this is while watching Will Smiths "I Am Legend" in Fullscreen, I found that the suspenseful scary scenes are more intense because of the closer viewing found with Fullscreen, thus making the movie personally more enjoyable. I think the sway was designed to sell you on the latestest in TV technology i.e, Flatscrenn LCD & Plasma. As if these types of television don't have user adjustable and automatic aspec ratio adjustment making Fullscreen just as easy to watch as the now popular panoramic black bar Widescreen.:p

11. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Tell me what your "from" and "to" formats are, and I will try to
    help. My main viewing is on a 27 inch (4/3) like some others
    here, so I quite often stretch wide screen movies so that they fill
    more of the screen.
    Here is one of the tricks I do that doesn't need anything special.
    Just encode your W/S movie (to dvd) as anamorphic, and then in the
    player, set it up for 16:9 output. Then you get a picture that is
    almost, but not quite F/S.

12. rmlnm

rmlnm Member

I just don't understand why you all are so opposed to fullscreen.
    If you prefer widescreen, fine that is your choice. I don't like widescreen.

What I am trying to do is convert, reformat, resize or whatever you want to call it, my dvds that are in widescreen format and burn dvds that is in FULLSCREEN format. I don't know how much simpler to state this. I don't like the zoom button because of the box icon on the lower righthand corner of the screen

I don't like seafood, cottage cheese, chile and widescreen so sue me!

13. davexnet

davexnet Active member

It's not that I'm opposed to FS, it's just that the prevailing winds
    are blowing in the opposite direction as more and WS material is
    being used now. It's the native mode of the new TV cameras.
    However, if you want to reencode your WS dvds,
    that's your prerogative.

Which compromise would you prefer? Basic Pan and scan, where the
    sides are just chopped off, or a massaging of the data, so that everything is tall and skinny ?

I don't mean it facetiously, it's a real consideration.

What have you attempted so far? Do you have avisynth installed?
    A general outline of the process would be to rip
    (and decrypt it if it needs it)your DVD to the HD;
    Index the movie with DG index; create a simple avisynth script (.avs)
    to open and frameserve the d2v (and crop/resize as necessary).

The avisynth .avs file can be opened directly in Dvd Flick, which
    can reencode and author the new dvd.

Here's a couple of jpg's to show the result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. rmlnm

rmlnm Member

Thank you for your reply.

Your fullscreen example looks alot better than the widescreen one.

Looking at widescreen is like trying to look out the window thru the slats of venetian blinds.

I came upon a very slick and extremely easy method to accomplish what I am trying to do. Since the prevailing winds are blowing in the opposite direction I won't bore you with the procedure. Heaven forbid that I set the world of widescreen back a hundred years.

Enjoy your widescreen. I know I will enjoy my fullscreen.

15. davexnet

davexnet Active member

The Afterdawn forums are a peer to peer community.
    We may have our opinions, but at the end of the day we try and
    help each other.

If you have something worth sharing, please share it. It's not for
    my benefit, but it may benefit all the others who come later who may
    wish to do something similar.

16. rmlnm

rmlnm Member

You ridiculed me for asking about fullscreen now you want me to share, not for you, but for the benefit of others. Yea, right!

You should have thought of that before you looked down your techie nose at my post.

Since I am talking old technology I wouldn't dream of intruding on your-know-it-all turf!

Enjoy your widescreen!

17. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Ha Ha Ha! What a load of old bollocks.

Your logic is flawed, man. I already demonstrated how to do it,
    while stating it was not something I would normally do -
    Hence, my reasonable assertion that it was for the good of the group.

The only thing you've shown is how defensive you are!
    I don't think you have anything at all !

18. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  19. rmlnm

rmlnm Member

This may come as a shock to you davexnet, I couldn't care less what you think!

20. rmlnm

rmlnm Member

This may come as a shock to you davexnet, I couldn't care less what you think!