1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wifi connection help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by illusia, Feb 20, 2016.

1. illusia

illusia Member

Hi all! Basically my problem is this. I have a fibre optic broadband connection with Virgin and the wifi connection on my pc is fine, probably because my pc is in the room above it. My sister's connection is bad even though her pc is in the room next door to mine. We hooked up her pc wirelessly to a wifi repeater and she gets a good strong connection. My brother on the other hand gets a very unstable connection. Sometimes the signal is weak and the connection often resets. He got a NETGEAR A6210-100PES AC1200 802.11AC Dual Band (300 Mbps / 867 Mbps) High Gain Wi-Fi USB 3.0 Adapter and that has helped with signal strength but the connection remains unstable. The way the house is built, his room is an exterior one so I think that may play a role. But I'm not sure. Can anyone help with this? Do I need to get him a specific bit of hardware so that he has a stable connection? Or do I need to start drilling through the floor so he can connect with a LAN cable?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what series is the wifi of the modem router combo as in a, b, g, n, or ac?

3. illusia

illusia Member

Honestly I have no idea. It's a virgin superhub 2ac if that makes a difference.

4. ddp

5. illusia

illusia Member

Yep, that's the one. I don't know exact distance but he's one room over and upstairs.

6. ddp

7. illusia

illusia Member

Thanks! I 'll check it out :D

He's switched from connecting to 2.4GHz to 5GHz and it appears to be more stable for now.