1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Wifi difficulties

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by phore, Apr 21, 2015.

1. phore

phore Newbie

Hello,

I am currently at an rv park. The rv park has free wifi. The setup for the wifi is centered in the womens bathroom of the park. There is a large metal antenna located on top of the bathroom that broadcasts over the whole park.

The first few weeks I was here, I noticed that my devices (a windows 8 toshiba, windows 7 hp netbook, Ipod touch 5g, and iphone 4s) would not connect to the wifi, from my rv across the park.

They would pick up the signal, but would not connect to the wifi. I assumed that this was because the antenna were too small to broadcast a signal to the huge antenna across the park.

I spent the first few weeks using the cellular data from my ipnone to connect to the internet in my trailer, or trekking across the park to sit in a smell room next to the womens bathroom, and access the wifi. I had no problems accessing the wifi in this room during the first few weeks.

Then one day I noticed that the wifi on my windows 8 computer and Ipod touch would not connect from the room (about 15 feet away from the huge antenna.) I did not know where the wifi was located at that time so I left and came back later. The wifi worked for a little while then went off again. The park owner asked me if I was using the internet and I told him about the difficulty i experienced connecting. He said he had reset it earlier, and was suprised that it wasnt working now. He then told me that it was in the womens bathroom and that i could reset it whenever i wanted.

I went and reset the wifi and modem, by switching a power strip and it worked for a half an hour, then went off again. I reset it again and nothing on either the Ipod or laptop. I wnet and wiggled the ethernet cords, and the cable and power cords. Nothing worked so I gave up.

Every time I checked with both windows 8 Laptop and Ipod tough 5g to rule out a hardware error on my end. Every time my devices detected a strong signal, but could not connect to the internet though the signal.

The next day I went out to see if the problem had resolved itself. A cable man was there in the women's bathroom looking at the setup. i sat in the room and accessed the internet. The cable man came out and I over heard him tell the park owner that he couldn't find anything wrong so If someone was experiencing problems "must be their computer."

After he did whatever he did, it seemed to work. The wifi stayed working for a week or so.

I noticed that the Ipod could occasionally connect to the wifi from my rv. It would sometimes be more sucessful If i turned on my cell phone (I usually leave it on airplane mode)

A few days ago, I got 2 netis wf2119 usb wifi adapters wireless n with detachable 5dbi antenna. With this I could access the wifi in my rv. They worked out of the box on my windows 8 computer. With "wifi 2" I could connect easily to the parks wifi. This worked for about a day.

Then the wifi at the park started being inconsistent. It would work quickly and easily sometimes. A few minutes later It would show a strong signal but i could not connect to the internet.

Today I decided to try an experiment. I took my ipod down to the womens bathroom and connected to the wifi. I then left the connection on and walked back to the trailer. When i got back to the trailer, Wifi 2 had gone from a limited connection with no internet access to connected with internet access.

I did this about 3 times in a 2 hour period with 100% sucess at connecting my computer this way.

Tonight I tried this same method (pinging with the ipod carrying the signal to my rv) it did not work. I tried multiple times, and reset the wifi multiple times.
    My ipod can connect andaccess the internet. I can even use the internet from my rv on the ipod. But i cant connect anything else to the wifi from my rv.

My iphone will connect near the bathroom but loses the connection on the way back to the rv.

What could be the problem here?

Next I will go try connecting my computer near the bathroom and report back.

Thanks everyone.

2. phore

phore Newbie

Update.
    Ok I just went and walked down to the womens bathroom with my windows 8 laptop and 5dbi antenna. I then connected through wifi 2 (the 5 dbi antenna) Without closing the laptop, I walked back and am now connected to th parks wifi from my rv.

If I can broadcast to the hotspot with high speed from my rv, and recieve information at high speed (very fast connection) why cant i connect from here.

Is it some kind of power saver setting somewhere?

I have access to my laptop, and all of the equipment at the hotspot (modem and wireless router). If anyone needs additional information I should be able to provide it.

Thank you
    Tony