1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WiFi not working

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by durkinjt, Dec 31, 2016.

1. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Just got a Dell Mini 1010, Win. XP at a flea market, looks great and everything is working, except the WiFi, I set up my password and it showed all was well, shows a strong signal, but when I try to get a program, like Google, it says no connection, I know there is a Wi-Fi switch on it but cannot find it, tried hitting F2 after I found out this was supposed to set the WI-Fi, still no signal, even when it says strong signal. Help!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

James, get a friend, who actually knows something about computers, to help you out. In all of the years that I have been visiting AD, I have never seen anyone, outside of you, who has problems with everything he/she owns, like you do.

aldan likes this.
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

I know you mentioned it before, sorry to see it bothers you so much, I'm retired & like to play with broken computers as a hobby, don't bother to reply anymore, unless it's positive. Thanks.

5. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

See if the adapter itself is actually enabled.No i don't mean in bios or device manager i mean the actual adapter in what would be network connections or whatever it is in control panel.Can also get there if the network icon is in system tray (right side at bottom on taskbar)
    that's all i got apart from chipset drivers etc

7. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Cannot find an error anywhere, device manager shows no problems, has a strong signal, hooked up to an Ethernet wire, still not working??

8. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Went on Google found this is a common problem with this model when using Win. XP, lots of folks had this problem.
    Some were IT guys and ended up sending it back when they first came out.

9. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

l Went on control panel for network connections, this is what I found. Under "Lan or High speed Connections. Connected" Local Area Connection Connected, Wireless Network Connection. Connected then under "Internet Gateway" Disabled. clicked on enable, got "connection failed".

10. ddp

that is a netbook not a laptop & as the ram cannot be upgraded then is deadend.

11. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks for the reply D, could you elaborate? Don't get about the ram upgrade affecting the WiFi. Thanks.

12. ddp

putting win7 might solve the issue but will be slow because of 1 gig ram & 1 core cpu.

13. durkinjt

durkinjt Regular member

Thanks D I actually tried to install Win.7, there is no optical drive, so I tried an exterior drive, and it would not recognize it. Probably will just give this thing back, not worth all the trouble.

14. ddp

I reloaded windows on my msi netbook using an external optical drive so check in the bios to make the usb optical drive the 1st boot drive.