1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a GeForce 8400GS run Gears of War OK?

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by Haunts, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Haunts

Haunts Member

Just wondering...running Dual Core 2 Duo, 350W, 1GB Ram, or can you reconmend something better?

2. ThanatosX

ThanatosX Guest

Only thing I can suggest is another gig of ram. I have a core 2 due (2.4 ghz), 2 gigs of ram, and an 8600 GT and i can play bioshock open with two instances on max quality with no lag. You should easily be able to handle gears of war on that system. But like I said you could really use another stick of ram.

3. Haunts

Haunts Member

Thats great, thanks for the info.

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

No way man. A 8400 and Gears Of War? Haha.

No way, need a way better gpu. Something like a 8600 at least, or get a ati 3850.

5. ThanatosX

ThanatosX Guest

Are you kidding me? here are the MINIMUM requirements for gears of war, right from the gears of war website.

Minimum system requirements:

* Processor: Intel 2.4 GHz or AMD 2.0 GHz or higher
    * HDD space: 12 GB
    * Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or ATI X700 or higher
    * Online multiplayer: Broadband Internet connection and Games for Windows LIVE Silver Membership (included)

My sisters boyfriend (who works for ubisoft), still runs a geforce 6X gpu and runs everything, granted not on full gfx quality etc. But honestly at least a 8600 to run Gears of war? Are you out of your tree? Do some research before you post stupidity and try and make somebody waste money for nothing.

As you can see from the above requirements YOU MORE than meet the reqs for gears of war to play it. Any dual core processor is going to beat the crap out of it since there isnt even a game OUT that requires a 2 core processor. Your geforce 8400 will work fine the game doesnt require anymore than something 2 gens older than your 8400. Like I said hook yourself up with a new stick of ram and you're all set.

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Yeah, and the minimum system requirements for Crysis is a 6600/x800. I have a x1950xt and it runs like shit. I have to play at 800x600 all high with shadows on low and physics on medium to be at at least 20fps.

have you ever heard of crysis?

Btw, a 7600 is better than a 8400, just to put things into perspective.

So, if you like to play games on max settings, but enjoy watching slideshows at the same time than the 8400 is for you :)

EDIT: When you said you could play bioshock on max with your 8600, what resolution were you playing at? 400x480?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  7. ThanatosX

ThanatosX Guest

1920 X 1080 on my new Sharp Aquos 32inch thanks very much. And the 8400 has more than enough power to run Gears of War without it lagging to all hell.

Being a senior member you may have been around here for a long time compared to me, but that doesn't make you more knowledgable. Just because you're into the most high performance and nothing but the best suits you, doesnt mean that it's NECISSAIRY for everyone else. His computer will run any game out right now fine, maybe not on max settings for all of them, but definately run them.

And screw the 7600 I had a 7600 in my old pc with 512 mb of ddr2 ram (i admit the ddr2 is hardly ideal) and it would lag when I played Neverwinter nights. The 8x has never given me problems. Nor should the 8400 give him any.

8. ThanatosX

ThanatosX Guest

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

settle down everybody as we don't need a flamewar. the question was will a GeForce 8400GS run Gears of War OK & it appears yes but maybe with limitations. i guess the poster will see for certain on his system as no 2 systems are the same.

10. ThanatosX

ThanatosX Guest

for the record ddp I don't think either of us were actually flamming, more surprised at the others response. I just found some of his answers to be a tad bit ridiculous and I believe he felt the same for mine. But I don't think either of us holds any prejuduce towards the other.

And I guess we would have to give ddp the credit for the best answer to. Your system will run gears of war, maybe not on max. But your systems components and software really aren't going to be the same as the next guy with an 8400.

Also for the record waymon I just to another look at the geforce 8x series and realized just how low things go quickly, so you are definately right that I doubt he'll run it on max since my 8600 GT doesnt really hold it's own on that list of 8x cards, and his doesnt even have the complete specs since they're all OEM.

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Thanatos, no problem but just want to stop any from starting. also better edit your sig to conform to forum specs as yours is 8 lines. take the 3 empty lines out & will be in spec.
    1. Text-only signatures should have at most 5 lines of text.