1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will an i3 cpu work on this board ?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by sandisk, Nov 11, 2010.

1. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hi guy's, just looking for your advice on this.

Basically I've saved up a few euro over the past while for a new pc and I'll be attempting my first build hopefully tomorrow if I can get all that is required.

Now currently at the min I'm still using a pentium 4 on my desktop and on my laptop a core 2 duo and my laptop is much faster than my main pc.

So bottom line is as it's my first build hopefully of many it doesn't have to be anything too flash, I just need some more speed so...... as I'm not well up on motherboard compatability can you tell me if an i3 processor will work on this board >>> http://www.maxburns.ie/?ECProduct=2512

Now I see it say's "Max cpu support i7/i5", so at the min I have an i5 650 skt 1156 picked out but I'd go with an i3 if it was supported.

So as for future ref, if it say's "Max cpu support i5 or i7" does this mean I can only go with this type or any processor once it's skt 1156 ?

Cheers ;)

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All LGA1156 CPUs work in all LGA1156 boards, for now, so yes it would work. However Asus boards are pretty terrible of late so I'd strongly recommend going with a Gigabyte equivalent.
    The store you're using is absolutely terrible though, only stocking 7 boards for LGA1156 when most sell over 30, and they're all ASRock and Asus (i.e. bad).
    Go with either
    http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product...rboard_ATX_iP55_LGA1156/P55_CD53/default.aspx

or

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4771607/art/gigabyte/ga-p55-ud3l-v2-0-socket-1.html

3. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks for the reply :)

I appreciate your advice and the links. To be honest I wasn't totally happy with my choice of board in the first place but the store where I linked I thought had them physically in stock so I could just go in and pay because it is a walk in shop too as well as an online shop but they didn't have many boards stocked so I left it.

I really wanted to get all my components today as I have some free time and yes I know ordering online is way better but time wise I just wanted the stuff and to get cracking on it but what a day... I went to pc world in west Dublin and they had no intel motherboards in stock at all just a couuple of amd. I then went to the other pc world in liffey valley and the same no boards in stock. I then went to maplins in west Dublin and they too had no Intel boards.
    Finally as I was walkin around a shopping centre I noticed off hand another of Ireland's great pc' shops called pete's world of electronics so I thought these must have an Intel board.... but no and the guy serving asked me if I'd like to purchase a laptop instead as there is no marked for motherboards and cpu's ect...

I just lol'd at the above and went on my way.

I can't believe I wanted to start my first build today, I have the cash for the parts but just can't physically get the parts.

Sorry, I just thought I'd have that rant lol

But yes I'm going to go the online route as I have no chance of getting what I need in the shops.

Thanks for the links and I'm going to review my oreder list and try get everything online.

Thanks again :)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's really difficult to find anything decent in a walk-in shop that's reasonably priced, it just doesn't happen as the PC component market is too fierce to seriously compete with the overheads of an actual shop, it's all done online.

5. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Thanks for the heads up on that mate :) I was under the impression that with all the advertising pc world/curry's were doing you could get any pc component there but I guess they are more into selling laptops as the place is littered with them and other fiddly things.

At the minute I'm just undecided on what online shop is the best to order from. I find www.aria.co.uk have their stuff priced quite good but the thing that gets me about them is shipping to Ireland is just over €30 for up to 5kg's and €3 after that per kg but what has me puzzeled is they use the same courier as another place I order from and they just charge me £10.99 for up to 30kg so big difference there.

I'll post back when I'm sorted :)

Sorry just one more question, I know from reading the forums here that a good named psu is important but the one I had my eye on only had 2 sata power cables, so should I dish out an extra few quid and get one that has more or will extension cables be sufficent ?

Thanks ;)

6. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hi, I'm after scrapping my order totally and am starting fresh, but I'm finding it hard to understand the motherboard hight/width to the Case hight/width so can you tell me if this board >>> https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Intel+1156+P55/Gigabyte+GA-P55A-UD3+Intel+P55A+%28Socket+1156%29+DDR3+PCI-Express+Motherboard+?productId=38607&page=4&rqcType=

fit into this case >>>> https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/MIDI+Tower/Antec+Three+Hundred+Gaming+Midi+Tower+Case+-+Black?productId=31087&page=2&rqcType=q

Many thanks

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sorry for the delay in posting. Yes it will fit. Both are also good choices. However Aria are out of stock of the case. It may be worth trying Scan, CCL or Ebuyer instead.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  8. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Sorry, double post :(

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  9. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hi and thanks for getting back to me :) and sorry for my late reply, I was away for a few day's.

Well long story short I got my new set-up up and running and I'm quite pleased with it I have to say as it was my first time building and everything seemed to work out fine.
    The only thing that got me a bit was some of the wires on the computer case as there was no name for them on the motherboard but after some time I seemed to have got it.

This is what I went with in the end >>

Xigmatek Asgard Pure Black Edition Gaming Case
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Intel P55A (Socket 1156) DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard
    Intel Core i3 550 3.2Ghz (Clarkdale) (Socket LGA1156) Processor - Retail
    Corsair Builder Series 500CX Power Supply
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5450 1024MB GDDR3 Low Profile PCI-Express Graphics Card
    Mushkin 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666 9-9-9-24 Silverline - 996768
    BenQ G2222HDL 22" Widescreen LED Monitor - Black
    Pioneer DVR-S18LBK 22x Internal DVD±R/RW SATA Drive - Black
    1TB Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green 3.5" SATA II Hard Drive
    Seagate Barracuda ST3250318AS 250GB 3.5" SATA II Hard Drive
    Edimax EW-7711IN 150mbps Wireless-N Network Adapter - PCI
    Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound

It's running smooth at the minute, just hope it keeps that way :)

Thanks for the advice it's really appreciated :)And now I done my first build I have a hunger for it so no doubt I'll be back to ask more questions lol

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Just as a heads up I hope you installed Windows to the 250GB Seagate. If you installed windows to the WD10EARS that wasn't a good idea, as Green drives aren't meant for running operating systems. It will work, but it will be very slow compared to if you had used a 7200rpm hard drive.

Just another FYI, you would probably have been better off buying a basic H55 board with integrated graphics, the HD5450 isn't much faster.

11. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Hi, yes I installed in on the 250gb hard drive, but I had no idea about being better off not installing an OS on a green drive so thanks for the knowledge :)

I hear what your saying about the other board. To be honest as I'm only learning to build I still don't know the best option's on some things but I wanted a borad I could upgrade components on in time as in the cpu and maybe the graphics card too and that board seemed a good price.
    As money was pretty tight I passed on the sound card for the time being and am currently using the intergrated audio.

Again thanks for the info, something for me to think about for future builds :)