1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will AnyDVD HD + CloneDVD allow creation of a regular DVD from Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by dirtfarm, Dec 22, 2008.

1. dirtfarm

dirtfarm Member

What would it take to let me burn single or dual layer DVD compressed down from a Blu-ray movie?

Santa’s bringing an internal LG Blu-ray reader that I intend to use in a media computer that I’ll be putting together right after Christmas. If I spend the big bucks to buy a Blu-ray movie for the snazzy family room setup, I’d still want to make a regular fidelity DVD copy that the kids can use in the van, or in their little portable DVD players. I already have AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 (both are great). Is that enough ... do I need to get AnyDVD HD also? (When I download updates to AnyDVD, it seems to me that there is just one download for both pieces of software. No?)

But I read a discussion somewhere here at Afterdawn.com earlier this month (I can’t find it again) that lead me to wonder if that capability even exists yet. Are there simple tools to accomplish compression of Blu-ray movies onto a regular DVD? And does AnyDVD HD fit into the process? If so, I surely want to buy it by Dec 31 2008. I’m planning on buying the Blu-ray “Dark Knight” this evening as a stocking stuffer (for me), and I do hope to be able to make a copy for the van’s DVD play

2. jjwatmyse

jjwatmyse Member

I believe that the short answer is no. CloneDVD is a MPEG2 to MPEG2 encoding utility.

Also, there is no point taking a Blu-Ray and converting to a DVD (MPEG2) as you may as well just get the DVD instead.

There is however, a strong following for ripping a Blu-Ray and converting to a 720p and lower AVC bit rate and creating an AVCHD format that will fit on a DVD. This then gives you a DVD disc that is only playable on a Blu-Ray player (it's in the AVCHD format)

There are numerous AVCHD authoring tools.

You would think that CloneDVD would be enhanced with a 'CloneDVD HD' branding to support AVCHD authoring. Otherwise all the Slysoft customers will buy software from an alternate vendor.

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

For a start you'll definately need the HD version of AnyDVD as an upgrade, I would suggest you get it before the end of the year, otherwise you'll end up with per year update licensing, if you do it now, you'll get lifetime upgrades, as they are changing the Ts & Cs.

Second, you're not going to convert the file format from hd format to sd format, the best you'll get is ripping to hdd, and then playing back on a PC with powerdvd or windvd etc...

4. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

now the cut of date is jan. 11th for free lifetime updates. and damn thats still 87.96 US dollars

edit thats 41.75 if you already have anydvd so thats nnot to bad

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  5. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Just posted same dates on the BD Rebuilder thread.

As an update to this thread:

It is now quite easy to produce single or double layer DVD discs which have the compressed BD movies on them, but as I've seen there does not appear to any way to convert the disc content format from BD to DVD, so it will only play on a BD capable device such as multi format rom or standalone BD player, a standard DVD player will not recognise the format on the DVD and will show it as unsupported.

I can't see any purpose or gain of changing the content format anyway, as although I'm no expert, I would asssume that changing the format would be no better than starting with a standard DVD in the first place, only changing the media gives a gain, as it allows for not requiring a BD burner or expensive BD blank media.

As seen with using BD Rebuilder, the quality of the playback of the encoded BD film from DL DVD is fantastic.

6. movienut5

movienut5 Member

I have a hi-def video camera and I burn my home videos to blu-ray. All of my family doesn't have blu-ray players so I need to do SD dvd's from my Blu-rays. As stated above I also need this.

7. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

AVCHD will probably be the HD format of most new camcorders.
    It can be played on a non AVCHD raw compatible bluray player by changing the extension (I believe).

There are convertors out there such as
    http://avs4you.com/AVS-Video-Conver...dWordsSearch&gclid=CLHG34eq85cCFQoi3godZXdrDQ

I have no idea what free ones there are and how well they work.

The original option though, using software first listed is not going to work.

Another option would be to just burn content to DVD in its original format, and then end users can play it on their PC with a compatible software player such as PowerDVD.

8. rgh

rgh Member

I asked this in another thread but didn’t get but 1 reply & it looks like I should have asked it here, I don't know how to transfer the question to this thread. SlySoft has extended their special until Jan 11th & I have read on other forums that many other programs are difficult to use for a novice like myself. So my question is what do I need to make it easiest to burn BlyRay DVD's. I burn many now with DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter or DVD Fab Decrypter if needed. Will any of these work with AnyDVD HD or does AnyDVD HD rip & burn all by itself? Do I need both Clone & Any DVD HD.
    To burn BluRay easily and successfully what do I need to get B/4 Jan 11th.

9. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

you will need anydvdhd as far as a encoder clonedvd will not work you can use BD Rebuilder with anydvdhd and burn to a standard blank DVD you do not need blu-ray blank media. however you will need a blu-ray reader ODD. more info here

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/733781

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  10. rgh

rgh Member

I will waant to burn BluRay disc's most of the time as I just got a new Panasonic BluRay BD35. I will use my old programs to burn standard dvd's. I do plan to add a BluRay burner to my computer. So Clone DVD is not the program to burn the BluRay blank after running it through AnyDVD HD to encode?

11. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

correct clonedvd does not support burning blank blu-ray DVDs ,however imgburn WILL work
    and its freeware

http://imgburn.com/

12. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

Providing your player accepts the DVD media you opt for, you can use BD Rebuilder to transfer the original BD movie onto DVD 'either single or double layer'.

It will still be in BD format, so will play like a BD and the quality will be very good, 'better on DL DVD' probably.

So to get started:
    1: Get AnyDVD HD, (no option here really).

2: Download BD Rebuilder, Beta version available for download via another thread on AD. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/733781

3: Download the 3 applications required to work with BD Rebuilder, Listed in the BD Rebuilder associated readme file.
    a)Matroska Splitter
    b)FFDSHOW
    c)AVISYNTH

4: Install the 3 applications, (make sure MPEG2 decoding is enabled in FFDShow)then install BD Rebuilder.

5: Rip you BD film via AnyDVD HD to a HDD location.
    (just right click task bar icon and select rip video DVD to HDD file)

6: Run BD Rebuilder choose option to backup full disk or just main movie, and then choose option to output to BD25, DVD-9, DVD-5, there some other ooptions which don't need changing.

7: You then just burn the image with Imgburn to BD or DVD media and play in your standard BD Player.

If anything, the whole thing seems just too easy, but thats all down to how clever jdobbs is.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  13. rgh

rgh Member

Does anyone know if you opt for the free trial download of 21 days for AnyDVD & AnyDVD HD & you decide you like it will you be able to get the program for the same 20% off and the lifetime updates deal if you pay the cost B/4 the 21 day trial ends? Or do you actually have to pay for it B/4 Jan 11th to get that deal?

14. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

yes you need to buy it at or before jan 11th to get the lifetime updates unless they extend it again

15. rgh

rgh Member

Now that I have it is there any setup involved or does it just run quietly in the background and take care of any problems that come up. If setup is required is there any place I should go to for instructions or a help file?

16. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

you have a few options,you can run anydvd in the background using either clonedvd,dvd shrink,nero recode,DVD Copy 6 or 1 Click. or use the ripper ripping the file to your HDD and use any of these programs or DVD Rebuilder which is an encoder. if you want to know excatly what the program is removing check Show information window for new media under "Program Settings" plus here is a link to a guide

http://www.ultimate-dvdr.com/anydvd/4290-anydvd-hd-tutorial.html