1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will bluray and hddvd hit mainstream markets?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by oxygenuk, Oct 16, 2005.

1. oxygenuk

oxygenuk Guest

the question is the topic really

i think i see br and hd as becoming another sacd or dvd-a.

what are your thoughts

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I agree!

The idea that people can't see the differnce between high def and DVD is subjective. People [bold]can[/bold] see the difference between the two. It comes down to making the right investments. There is alot that goes into making a HD experience. You can't just buy components with the ability to do high def. You must feed your system high-def too. I think that most people are under the mis guided understanding that all you need is a great tv or components with digital connections (HDMI/DVI). This isn't the case (entirely).

What is needed? A display that can reproduce a high def image (I mean 1080p!) You need a digital source (Off-Air-Antenna, Cable, or Satellite) that provides an HD signal. You need cables that have the bandwith to carry that high def signal. Lets not forget about audio! No matter if its gaming, movie watching, or everyday tv viewing you need a audio system that can decode (at least) dolby digital 5.1 signals, since HD sources (including Video games and over the air broadcasts) can provide a 5.1 surround experience. Lastly, a cable that connects you audio system with an HD source digitaly (Coax or Toslink) is also a must.

Getting people to understand what all the fuss is about is all that is needed. People will spend thier money if they think that it is being well spent! Don't you? I do.

Everyday tv is going Digital not HD! The true HD experience is a luxury and will be for some time.
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  3. oxygenuk

oxygenuk Guest

great reply.

yep thats it, ya will need at least dolby digi EX/dts.es compatible receiver to decode all the HD stuff properly and the price for all that stff wont make the public happy for a while but eventually the day will come when that stuff isnt luxury like you say...

thanks

4. bcardell

bcardell Member

I strongly disagree. I see most people who own an HDTV buying hi-def video discs as soon as they're available.

If you have an HDTV you can see a huge quality difference between your HD cable/satellite channels and your DVDs. You don't have to be a home theater buff to notice the drastic improvement in resolution. I can't wait until I can get movies that look as good as DiscoveryHD.

Plus, the sound won't change at all from how it is now. Lots of people without surround systems still own DVD players and listen to DVDs through their TV speakers. Obviously it's not as nice if you can't take advantage of the surround sound encoded on the DVD, but it doesn't discourage people buying DVDs now. Every device that outputs sound through a coax or optical cable is also able to output stereo through RCA, so the fancy cables and processers are not a must.

Connections aren't a problem either, since anyone who has an HDTV already uses at least component video cables. You're wrong if you don't think HDTV is taking off. And there's no reason why people won't switch to high def discs, if you have a TV capable of 720p, it's way worth it. Mark my words, high resolution video discs will NOT be like SACD or DVD-A.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

People buy DVDs because they can't buy VHS tapes anymore. I'm a hometheater salesman, I know peole don't know anything about what these new formats offer.

Yes your right, BD and HD-DVD won't slae as poorly as SACD and DVD-A but people will be just as confussed. Most still don't fully understand the benifits of widescreen. They are upset when there movies still have black bars at the top and bottom.

My point was that people don't fully understand the capabilities of all this technology. HDTV will be propelled by the new video game consoles not by a format war!

As far as cables, yes "fancy" cables are needed. I'm not saying that everyone needs to buy $100 cables I'm just saying in the box cables suck and that even the cheap store cables are better.

I hope HD-DVD and BD deliver. I'm anxious to see the first BD movie Charles Angels: Full Throttle in HD
    (1080p, 60fps).

Ced

6. bcardell

bcardell Member

Okay, I think I misunderstood.

If you find that most people don't understand letterboxing, and that they only buy DVDs because they can't get VHS tapes (which have terrible picture and no chapter skipping or decent frame-by-frame), then you must live in the south.

On the coasts people are a little more up with the times. Out here, working in the WalMart electronics department doesn't qualify someone as a home theater salesman. People in more sophisticated areas (anywhere but the south) understand the capabilities of this technology and the HD revolution is already being driven (quickly) by HD content from Digital Cable and Satelite. But I agree with you that Hi-def DVDs will be an effect of the revolution, not the cause.

Sorry to hear that you live around so many clueless people.

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I don't understand what all the slander is about. The truth is I live in a big city in OHIO (a northren state) and I work in the Home Theater department at best buy, one of the largest electronics retailers in the world, which gives me a pretty good veiw of what most people know.

Most people want HD tv because they know its whats next (they think they need it), not because of the features of a digital system. I'm talking about the older crowed by the way.

Also, I'm not saying I would by VHS tapes over DVDs that would be insane. Im saying that not everyone loves new techonlogy.

But like everything else I type its just my opinion. I don't expect to be treated like crap for giving my 2 cents! Do you?

Ced

8. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

This is a bad topic. Everyone will embrace it but the question is which one. Most analysts say Bluray will win after a one to two year battle. The market might shift away though. Plus anyone who buys a PS3 will HAVE to embrace Bluray and Windows Vista comes stock with support for HD-DVD which is not all that great. Windows doesn't make the drivers anyway. Sony can just sell the hardware and drivers and people can stick it in themselves.

9. DeMody

DeMody Member

I'm over 40.
    Was born in the South. Live now in the mid-west. Lived on the East coast and did not like the "atmosphere".
    Have a HDTV, HDTV ota reception!, HDTV satellite reception!! (DiscoveryHD rocks)...
    Have a HD audio setup that is not top end but works NICE!!!
    Watch 480p DVD movies all the time!!!!

Will buy either HD format player as long as two things happen:

1) The price is right (under$200 for a player, under $20 per disc), and
    2) The quality of the movies warrant my purchasing new equipment.

HD programming is far superior than Digital and especially analog. Watching MNF with HDTV is awesome!!!!!

10. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

The players probably won't be that cheap. The PS3 might be cheaper so that might be a better option if you want Bluray. And also most analysts agree that Bluray will win the battle in a year or two so Bluray is the way to go. Despite what people say about Intel and Microsoft supporting HD-DVD, most of their clients support Bluray.

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Blue-Ray wins in time because it can hold more data. Thats common since. What I don't understand is why people don't think Blue-ray and HD-DVD can't find there own niches. Like CD (music) and DVD (movies). I think HD-DVD is a fine format that could be used for more than music and video games.

Since 50 GB is a little much, why not use HD-DVD for everyday house hold back-ups (since its cheaper).

Just one option,
    Ced