1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will DVD-R DL work with Denon DVM-1800?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mrudo, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Mrudo

Mrudo Member

I am going to be heading in the DVD ripping realm tro back up DVD's and want to know if I uses a new NEC ND-3520A and uses DVD-R DL media, will it play on my current Denon DVM-1800?
    Thanks.

Want to know before spending cash on the burner, etc...and then have to buy a enw DVD player.

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I don't know the answer to your question. I did a quick search, but couldn't turn up anything definitive. I would think that if it plays commercial movie dvd's which are dual layer, then it ought to play DVD-R DL; but I wouldn't bet on it (since I just don't know).

However, I wouldn't let that determine whether or not to buy a DVD-R DL capable burner. If you are going to by a burner at all, you should get something that will last. Dvd players have gotten cheap, and who knows how soon you might add one that would for sure play DVD-R DL? I.e., don't play to the lowest common denominator here. Get the best dvd burner you can afford, regardless of whether your current dvd player can utilize everything you might be able to do with it.

3. Mrudo

Mrudo Member

Oh I plan on buying a good burner...it's just whether I have to go out and buy a new DVD player. I don't do go for the run of the mill DVD players...I prefer good players over an el-cheapo player, picture quality and audio transfer is better. So before I go out and have to spend a few extra hundred bucks I'd like to know if a burner will produce a disc that my current player can read.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well that DVD player supports only -R DVD media according to there website. So it is possible that it will not read DL +R disk's. Seeing how right now the +R is all that is available in DL format you don't have the option of the -R's. Also those 5 disk players are known to not play a lot of media very good. Your best bet if you want to play any type of media out there is to go ahead and buy one of those as you call them "el cheapo" DVD players and just hook it up as a second player. Believe me those el cheapo ones work very good. I have a Sony DVD player I spent all kinds of money on, and it has more problems playing DVD's than the el cheapo's do.
    Your best bet would be to borrow a Dual Layer disk that has been burned from a buddy and give it a try in your player. If you are in the market for a burner anyway though then you may as well get the DL burner as there really isnt any difference in price in the two anymore anyway. The one you are planning on getting is a very good drive :)