1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will media centers go the same way as the dvd player?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Wuggish, May 31, 2004.

1. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

10 years ago the DVD player was unheard of, ten years later most households have one, will the media center go in the same direction?

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

If you mean with HTPCs then I would say "there is a strong possibility", theres a lot of discussion about that stuff here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/100

I think the biggest competition comes from, not desktop comps but consoles -- those fandangled Xboxes and PS2s can do some pretty nifty stuff when it comes to being a media centre -- if and when they come out with tv tuning capacity and surround sound then the ShuttlePC market needs to look out! :)

3. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

consoles have always been competeion for the PC, but a media center is a tv, computer and console in one, but consoles of the future will be just a tv and a console, not a computer so i think that in 10 years time there wil be no point in buying a console bcuz you can buy a media center that is alredy as powerful as a console but u get a comp an a tv with it. But if your like me u'll go an buy the consoles for the sake of it anyway lol

4. Praetor

Ten years is a long time :p lots of things will change between now and then :p hehe

5. Wuggish

Wuggish Member

10 years wil go quicker than u think:p if u read this in 10 yrs time 1) u'l be like " sh!t was tht alredy 10 yrs ago 2)ur rite things wil change in 10 years, like u'll be readin this on your media center wrist watch lol

6. Praetor

lol Media Centres wont get me for some time -- not until TVs have a d.p of 0.27 or less for the average household -- which isnt going to happen anytime soon.