1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will my computer hardware specs work to capture video?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by jcougar, Feb 22, 2008.

1. jcougar

jcougar Member

when I purchased my laptop a handful of years ago, my intent wasn't to wind up copying video tapes, DVD's, etc. The most I thought I'd be doing was editing digital pictures, which has been no problem.

What I have found, however, is that I can also - with NO problems - make backups of DVD's - the computer performs just fine for me and in the past several weeks, I've learned how to do this quite well.

What I'd like to know is, do I have the 'tools' to capture video from a VHS tape (including copywrited ones)? Once I get that done, I know I can burn the files to a DVD, but I don't know how to get the VHS tape onto my computer.

Dell Inspiron 2650.
    Pentium 4 processor.
    1.8 Ghz and 384 MB of RAM.
    One PS/2 port.
    Two USB ports, unfortunately 1.1.(probably rules out USB devices for video capturing).
    30 GB internal hard drive, with a 200 GB external hard drive.
    I have a PC card slot on the side. I'm hoping there is a "card" out there that fits this slot that has the ability for me to hook up my computer to my VCR (so I don't have to try and use the 1.1 USB ports).
    I also have all the cables I would need to hook up the VCR to my computer.
    I also have several programs that I am certain have the ability to "import" video (Showbiz - Version 2- for example). This is a great program.

Remember, my computer wasn't intended for this use, but since backing up DVD's has been no problem, I want to know if it can import VHS(even if it's extremely slow). I have no problems setting it up to work overnight, while I sleep.

If it will work (slow or not), any suggestions on the necessary equipment would be great.

2. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

whats the difference between using computer to download /capture vhs from vcr to cpu and vcr to standalone dvd recorder
    is there any qaulity difeerence

3. club42

club42 Regular member

You can get an external capture card but with your small amount of ram and processor you would be getting dropped frames like crazy.
    The difference is that you can edit the video using your computer. Also you can somewhat clean the picture if you are using a pc rather than a standalone.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008