1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will my pc burn dvds?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by dipset121, Apr 12, 2005.

1. dipset121

dipset121 Regular member

Will an Intel Celeron Processor with 495 mhz with Windows XP be able to successfully burn dvds???

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

That processor will be pushing it.

My backup pc has the p3 celeron 598 mhz. It does a fair job at burning. I also have an extra 30 gig hd on it along with xp home and 256 mbs of ram. These specs are said to be too low,but I can do small,main-movie backups using dvd shrink and nero in 45 mins.The larger dvd-9s will take longer.They can take me 2-3 hours if I use dvd shrink max smoothness or sharpness enhancements.

How much ram do you have?

The main thing, How much harddrive space to you have free?

It is recommended to have between 10 - 12 gigs of free space,depending on which programs you use to encode. If you haven't got enough hard drive space,you will crash!!!!!!

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

@ dipset121, please do not double post. I would read the rules if I were you. You may get banned! In answer to you question, you really need a faster processor. It will help to keep things running smooth. My 3200Barton runs @ between 55&85% when burning. Yours will have to work so hard it will probably blow a gasket!!

We really do need to see your sytem specs to give a definitive answer, as per Saugmon in the above post!

My system will read 8 gig in 30 mins, my old plextor (px-116a in my second PC) is 5-8mins faster than the liteon, & burn (with any of my Pioneers) in no more than 15mins. BBmayo can read the same in 8 mins, with the same Liteon ROM (much to my annoyance!!) & burn in the same time as me!
    Ironically, my old Sony DRU510a. in my second PC, will burn just as fast as the Pioneers, but finalizes quicker than my Pioneers! That's progress for you!
    Pulsar

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  4. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

This may be a stupid question, but are you sure that is accurate? I'm thinking maybe you meant it runs at that % when it's encoding something. I have a Athlon 2600XP (2.12GHz) and it onlys runs at about 10% MAX, if that when I'm burning. On the other hand when I'm re-encoding something with Shrink say, then yeah it maxes the CPU out for about 30-40 minutes. (Good thing I have all those fans....) ;)

Anyway, to the original post, I would say yeah that your CPU would definitely be a stumbling block. Might not be too bad if you're just burning something and not multitasking, but if you tried to Re-encode something, I'd think it would cause problems with your CPU. Just my 2 cents. :)

5. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Dude, my cpu usage is at 100% when I decode. I have never had problems burning any movie. I do plan to get more ram but no probs thus far. What are ur specs like everyone stated maybe you don't even have a burner.???

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Wierdo007, you are quite correct. The usage I quoted was for encoding, not burning!

My bad. I guess it's old age creeping in. Along with senility!!!! LOL

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

@zenarrow:

Encoding is CPU intensive, not RAM intensive.